HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/257091-what-would-you-do.html)

mohunter82 08-11-2008 07:39 AM

What would you do?

I know I have a decent buck on my property.Patterned and ready to take down. but I am also taking my nephew out this youth season for his first hunt. What would you do? I forgot to mention he is 7 years old.

PreacherTony 08-11-2008 07:41 AM

RE: What would you do?

Let him have the good buck! Without a doubt!!! I've done it ....

Bowtech 360 08-11-2008 07:42 AM

I said let him have the buck, this would really spark the interest of him. Im currently fighting to keep my focus on hunting but with no deer taken so far it gets harder. I think the look on his face when he smokes that buck will be worth it.

GMMAT 08-11-2008 07:44 AM

I'd ask myself.....CAN he kill it?

If you think you can get him in there, clean, and either:

1. give him a LEGITIMATE opportunity to take this deer.......I'd take him in.
2. If you think your intrusion wouldn't mess it up, for YOU, then I'd take him in there.

If I thought he wasn't capable of going in there clean and getting the job done.....I honestly wouldn't risk it.

You asked.

Pierce Pepin 08-11-2008 07:47 AM

I guess if I had a chance with the bow to bag the big guy before the youth hunt then I would. If you see the big one with your nephew let him shoot him. Take the opoutunity that presents itself. They are few and far between. Let the young guy shoot what he wants and take a ton of pictures. Congradulate him and make him want to come back next year. That's what counts.

Good luck to both of you guys.

Bowtech 360 08-11-2008 07:49 AM

Now that I thought about, I have a question. Did he help scout and pattern this deer at all? Because he needs to know that hunting will not be that easy ( being put on the deer with no work). He would be into hunting for a year then realize it was a fluke or sumthing and then never hunt again.

Pierce Pepin 08-11-2008 07:58 AM

Alden NY

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

I said let him have the buck, this would really spark the interest of him. Im currently fighting to keep my focus on hunting but with no deer taken so far it gets harder. I think the look on his face when he smokes that buck will be worth it.
Hang in there BT! I just checked google maps for your area and it looks like you are smack dab in the middle of some good deer country. If you are having a problem getting on land then get on your pedal bike and ride down the country roads and ask the farmers if they have somewhere for you to hunt. Offer to help them this fall with some chores or work around the farm and you may find a great place to hunt. I don't know too many that would turn down a young guy on a bicycle offering to help out in return. Make sure to send them a letter thanking them even if they say no.

If you have extra doe permits take the first one that strays inside your shooting zone. Get that first deer out of your system.

Good luck this fall

gutshot 08-11-2008 08:06 AM

I'm not voting because my answer isn't up there but I'd say take your nephew and let him shoot the first thing that he get's a chance to shoot.

mohunter82 08-11-2008 08:08 AM

He has helped me check the trail cams and i am constantly showing him different pics of deer asking where to place his shot. at 7 its still alittle hard to gethim o understand some of the stuff.
I'mjust afraid that if he takes this one that he will begin to get disappointed if he doesn't kill another one the next year or the year after that is just as big.

GMMAT 08-11-2008 08:10 AM

Serious question......

Can he pull enough draw weight to legally take this animal at 7yrs?

Are we talking bowhunting? I may have falsely assumed this.;)