Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do? >

What would you do?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you do?

IMO, just get him on deer period. Make the hunt fun and make it an adventure for him. If the buck is the best way to do that, then so be it. If not, then find him another deer. Either way deer or no deer if he has fun, he'll never forget it and will want to come back.

Thanks for taking the time to get him involved. We need as many of the next generation hunting as possible.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer was a doe and it ment as much to me as any buck I've ever killed, its kind of a right of passage.IMO
Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with gutshot because if he kills that good buck and dose not get a chance at another good buck the next years or then next couple years he will get discourges. I small buck would be like a building block and he can shoot for a bigger deer the next year. But if you see the big buck definatly let him shoot unless u want him to hate your for the rest of your life ........lol.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just went out and checked my trail cam thatis set up on the plot i plan on taking him on and had 20 pics of does in one day. i think his chances are good for a deer period.
I take as many kids as possible out every year. Whatever I can do to help keep the youth involved.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take him and let him shoot what ever legaldeer he wants. If it's the big one, then even better for him.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Take him and let him shoot what ever legaldeer he wants. If it's the big one, then even better for him.
That's THE best reply I've read here! This season will be the firstthat I have ALL 3 of my kids going out on the IL Youth Firearm hunt and they are more then welcome to take ANY deer that gives 'em a buzz. My boys are only 8 & 9 and looking for their first deer, my daughter is 13 and has raised the bar a bit more. Whatever they choose is perfectly fine with me.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If his pattern doesnt change let the youngin take it, trust me youll see a smile that will never end, and hell be hooked for life.