Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting ready 4 elk season :) >

Getting ready 4 elk season :)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting ready 4 elk season :)

Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Getting ready 4 elk season :)

Good area, I have applied for 16b, which I have heard is a little more remote and brutal terrain wise
Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 PM

cool...i think i will head down there this coming weekend 2 check it out..i think i will try the predator camo in green, i have heard that that pattern will work well 4 the terrian down there...someone took all my camo stuff when we parted ways...so I have 2 buy all new stuff 4 this season..which is cool by me of course.. i love new stuff
Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

That stinks, but yeah, new stuff is always good. Killin' me that I have to wait 6 weeks to be away from the flatland here. Been working on the running and bike riding to get ready more for next year, as where we hunt in Colorado isn't all that bad.

But if I do get the 16b tag next year, I want to be ready
Old 08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingdiva1

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Good luck with those elk in NM Sarah. Those are some good looking arrows, lets see one ofthem all bloodied up in a few weeks.

Sooo how many critters are you gonna hunt out there this year? Lots of big game to chase in NM.
Thank u.. I hope 2 have 1 all bloodied up 2 . I only drew 4 1 elk tag either sex bow. I do plan on trying 2 make it back 2 the midwest 2 hunt whitetail, and I will b bird hunting n IA and SD 4 sure shotgun. I am no longer working and am pretty much retired now so I have a ton more time.
Retired, Holy Cow howd you work that out. That must be an old pic in your avatar.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

16A? Congrats, that is one of the best units bar none. I have not hunted it but I have hunted 16E four different years. Good quantity and quality. My hunt partner killed a 363" bull in 16E three years ago.

May or may not be bugling in the early season, but I would work the ridge tops pre dawn and listen and then try to get on a bull if you catch one sounding off. Once daylight comes, do lots of glassing and take your time.

In evenings, water holes are your best bet. Find some off the roads that area little harder to get to. But even with that, there can still be a lot of competition for them, so I would plan on getting there by no later than 3:00 as the unwritten law of the land is that latecomers should yield to the first one there. We often times get there at noon, eat lunch and take a nap.

Don't let someone come in after you and try to run you off just because they may have set a tree stand up or something. Doesn't work that way although there always seems to be someone that tries to bully everyone else away, especially if they are an outfitter. Stand your ground and try to get along as best as possible.

We will be going to Colorado this year in the Gunnison/Crested Butte area. I have hunted this area quite a bit as well. Good quantity but not likely to see a bull much over 300" and more likely tops will be 250-275".

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM

[/quote]

Retired, Holy Cow howd you work that out. That must be an old pic in your avatar.
[/quote]

No,,new pic... I just got lucky
Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: jackflap

16A? Congrats, that is one of the best units bar none. I have not hunted it but I have hunted 16E four different years. Good quantity and quality. My hunt partner killed a 363" bull in 16E three years ago.

May or may not be bugling in the early season, but I would work the ridge tops pre dawn and listen and then try to get on a bull if you catch one sounding off. Once daylight comes, do lots of glassing and take your time.

In evenings, water holes are your best bet. Find some off the roads that area little harder to get to. But even with that, there can still be a lot of competition for them, so I would plan on getting there by no later than 3:00 as the unwritten law of the land is that latecomers should yield to the first one there. We often times get there at noon, eat lunch and take a nap.

Don't let someone come in after you and try to run you off just because they may have set a tree stand up or something. Doesn't work that way although there always seems to be someone that tries to bully everyone else away, especially if they are an outfitter. Stand your ground and try to get along as best as possible.

We will be going to Colorado this year in the Gunnison/Crested Butte area. I have hunted this area quite a bit as well. Good quantity but not likely to see a bull much over 300" and more likely tops will be 250-275".

Good luck.
AWESOME,, thank you so much 4 the gr8 advice...It is much appreciated..
Old 08-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking arrows...best of luck on the elk hunt. I'm heading out for my first in 27 days and can't wait. Looking forward to your pics....elk ofcourse.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

Great looking arrows...best of luck on the elk hunt. I'm heading out for my first in 27 days and can't wait. Looking forward to your pics....elk ofcourse.
Very cool Kelly..u will have a blast..
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

So Sarah's going on a elk hunt, you lucky girl!!! Best of luck Sarah, elk hunting is a blast!!

Quick Reply: Getting ready 4 elk season :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.