Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone Got any Tips? >

Anyone Got any Tips?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Got any Tips?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone Got any Tips?

So does anyone have any tips about asking permission for hunting private land? I've stopped at 9 different places now and still noone has said yes.. So I'm looking to get help from anywhere I can. Anyone got any tips?

Ryan.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone Got any Tips?

Keep looking.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

offer to do some worl for them if its a farm. or even help around there house. free labor and share the meat with them.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Spike

Just keep asking. Maybe ask one of the landowners you have already asked in a nice and respectful way the reason why you can't hunt. People sometimes give reasons that can be overcome with a little discussion. Dont give up. Nothing beats a failure but a try....
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dress professional, show up with a clean vehicle showing pride in yourself and that you take care of things.

Be polite, courteous and like was mentioned, offer compensation in chores etc... I already think your prepared for being turned down but keep asking. PM Jeff (GMMAT) or hopefully he'll stop by cause he has the best knack for getting permission than anyone I've ever met. That's the side some of you morons don't know....LOL [8D]
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Give them a copy of the new Brett Favre / goat video
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

If your only going to be bow hunting be sure to stress that. I have learned that most people assume that you are gun hunting when you ask if you can hunt deer on there property. Just be polite and a good listener.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a farmer's daugther and marry her!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had fairly good success at this myself; just last week I secured permission to hunt one of the largest apple orchards in Illinois.

Rob hit on some of what I was going to say...

First off... I go in June or July at the latest. Hunting isn't as much on landowner's minds at that time, and they are prone to being more receptive. You'll separate yourself from the masses by not just being another of the herd.

I dress what's called "business casual" when I go knock on doors (pressed khakis or dress slacks and Polo-style shirt, nice dress shoes), and I usually go on Sunday afternoons. (Around 1:30 or so ... just after the family has finished their lunch upon getting home from church.) I don't drive my Jeep with the BOHNTR license plates and my sponsor's stickers on the side glass, either; I take the car. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on taking my wife along on trips of this sort in the future...

I STRESS that I am a bowhunter ONLY, and that I will NEVER bring a gun on to their property; that way, they never have to fear a stray bullet at any time (yes, I go ahead and explain that reasoning to them), and that I won't be on their property at all during gun season (because they may want to gun hunt themselves or have others in the family who do).

I offer to bring back some meat from what I kill off their land if they'd like some, and ask them what their favorite cuts are. I also offer to help with any work they may have lined up.

Thank them no matter what the answer is; you may want to come back and ask again next year. Offer up referals from area farmers. If you can't gain access on the farm you're trying for, ask if they know of any other property owners that may be willing to let someone bowhunt.

Follow up with a thank you card -- handwritten. In fact, I just got through mailing off all my thank-you cards to the landowners on whose properties I hunt; some of them have become so close over the years that I included a recent pic of my two boys along with it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I wore my nice Khaki shorts and my nice black polo shirt (it was 93 degrees) anyhow, I went up to the house the lady was sitting outside doing her flowers I was in my moms car nice red tarus washed on monday still sparkling, I wore my good cologne, walked up to her said hello my name is Ryan McConahy, I live in Altoona, I had noticed that this was the backside of the area I usted to hunt when I was a kid, and I was wondering if you let anyone bowhunt. She said ohh, we dont usually let anyone hunt on our property I'm sorry. I said well okay then Thankyou for your time and would you know anyone who I might be able to ask for permission? she said no so I said Okay thank you Ma'am have a nice day smiled at her she smiled back got in the Tarus and left..... That was one of the better ones that one went real smooth sorta shorter than I hoped But maybe its just the way I walked or talked to her? maybe because I havent shaved??

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Anyone Got any Tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.