Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Was Greg Miller baiting in 'In Pursuit' last week? >

Was Greg Miller baiting in 'In Pursuit' last week?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Was Greg Miller baiting in 'In Pursuit' last week?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Was Greg Miller baiting in 'In Pursuit' last week?

he obviously felt people were going to think it was baiting because he explained himself at the end. that says a lot. saying that 'well, not many deer were actually eating the alfalfa anyway' doesn't carry any water with me. i guess i'm in the minority on this one.

he's probably hunting thousands of acres and he puts his ground blind 20 yards from a spread out bale of alfalfa (and it's the only one around) and it doesn't appear to anyone else to look like baiting? really?

I wouldn't have said anything if it were anyone else. the fact that he rants all over in his book that baiting is the worst thing to ever happen to hunting made me bring it up.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: passthru79

He plainly stated that the farmer had left that one bale there. He also said that to some people it may look like baiting but very few deer were actualy coming to that bail. The buck his son shot didnt even look at that bail it just walked past it. I wouldnt consider that baiting by any means. Its not like he went out there dumping corn on the ground. If that is considered baiting hunting of a food plot must be to.
LOL! Are you kidding? Please tell me what the difference is in dumping a pile of corn out on the ground to attract deer, and dumping a pile of alfalfa on the ground to attract deer. Just because corn may attract more deer than an alfalfa bale doesn't change the fact that it's bait.

Also, If I dump a bushel of apples on the ground in front of my stand, and I shoot a deer from that stand, but that deer didn't look at the apples, I'm still baiting.

It's amazing how we will bend our logic when defending someone we look up to or think highly of.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 AM

Well said jmccoy, I agree totally. Food plots feeders its all baiting. How bout we all just hunt the way we want and let it go. I do agree thou it is funny how Miller goes on about it and then turns around and does it....
Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I agree hunt the way you want to hunt but in this case don't do it and show it on film then say well the deer didn't go to it so it really isn't baiting because it is. If I was hunting here in Missouri and the Conservation agent came to my stand with a pile of corn or another bait on the ground I am sure he wouldn't write me a ticket if I said the deer just walked right past it and didn't even look at it. Ya right. I am not saying he was braking the law because he probably didn't or doing anything else wrong just giving an example.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer rarely ever eat from a bail of any type. Theyd rather have the good green than the cut and bailed hay. Winter time is a bit different. I think your makingsomething out of nothing. In all the years that I have been farming and hunting I have yet to see a deer come to a bail of hay in the fields. Most of the times they walk right by them.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Was he bear or deer hunting?
Leave it up to you to say something like this.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Was he bear or deer hunting?

[8D]
Elephant, you never know