Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Spine Shot

Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Default RE: The Spine Shot

ORIGINAL: Downsouth13

All I'm saying is that a shot is shot no matter where it is. In the spine, heart, lung, where ever. Pain is pain. Death is death. Its the same as people saying that a person who dies in their sleep feels no pain. When was the last time someone asked a person who died in their sleep did they feel anything?
When people say they shot the deer and it didnt notice it i take it to mean that the deer doesnt feel it.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Spike

That is true Bailey and I couldnt agree more, but to me it is still a double sided argument because who knows what the deer is actually going through is all I'm saying. If you really want to get technical about it, once something is paralized bcuz of a break in the spine, all feeling is lost from that point on, so is a deer really in pain from a spine shot?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

ORIGINAL: RackLuster

I see those and they bug me every time. finish off the deer before you start your speech. ugh!
The deer was finished off hours, if not days before that speech was recorded. TV hunting shows are put together in pieces, so it is not always as it appears. With that being said, I am not a big fan of the spine shot either. I have seen a couple of shows where they were claiming they were aiming for that shot. I will be more than happy with my double lung shot.
no, no, no...that's not what i'm talking about at all. I'm talking about when they don't even bother to pan away at all, it's all one take - shoot deer, start speech. I believe that's what the original post is about too. if the scene changes then you can only assume that they finished the deer off right away. that's fine. but when you see the shooter spine shot a deer and start his speech all in the same frame then I have a problem!

Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, if you make a bad shot you should admit it, don't act like you made a great shot when you didnt.

I can't remember what show i was watching the other day when i watched someone shoot a dear in the hind quarter and hit the femoral artery. Blood was gushing out everywehre and it was obvious that the deer would die, but he turned around to the camera and was all excited saying, the shot was just a tad back...TAD? Try a foot or two!

I agree though, they guys should finish off the animal and accept the face that he made a bad shot. Theres nothing he can do at that point except do everything he can to make sure he recovers that animal.

There sure have bee a LOT of spine shots on TV lately though...kinda gets old!
Spike

I agree bowtech, but how many times have u actually seen that happened. I have a few time, but mostly with elk and moose.....
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Downsouth13

What really is the difference between a spine shot, lung shot, leg shot etc if the deer dies.... Do you hear what ur saying. I'm not being ugly by no means, but has anyone ever talked to a dying deer who has been shot? If it dies does it really matter about the shot? All of us kill deer for fun not because we have to do it to survive. To most people that is inhumane in itself. If u make a double long shot and the deer runs 200 yds and then dies do you honestly think that he doesnt feel pain? Don't take this reply as ugly, just look at it from a real life stand point...
I have never had a deer go 200 yards on a double lung shot. Most go down within sight, 40-60 yards would be about normal. I understand what you are saying, but a spine shot deer is going to live longer than a double lunged deer, or a heart shot deer. I know either way they are going to die and know I have not talked to a deer that has been shot either way, but it makes since to be that a deer that goes down under 30 seconds is a lot more humane that a spine shot deer that takes a second shot to finish off. While I am not a big softy, I am not about making it hard on the deer either.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

A spine shot isn't always what it appears to be. I'm not proud of this, but I "spined" a doe 2 years ago. She dropped in her tracks, behind a stone wall. I could see her body but not head, and believe me she looked 100% dead. I mean completely motionless. Before I even started getting ready to climb down from my stand, about 5 minutes later, she got up and ran. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Apparently, my shot was close enough to the spine to temporarily paralyze her. She ran down the edge of a cornfield and we followed a very sporadic light blood trail and got to within about 50 yards of her and saw her eyes illuminated by my lantern as she stared at us from her bed. I backed out and returned the next morning, without a bow as there is no Sunday hunting allowed. When I got there, she was standing up and feeding. We got to within 15-20 yards of her and she bolted. There was not one drop of blood where she had bedded down. We ran into her an hour or two later, a good quarter mile of where she had bedded. She looked a little sore, but I'm sure she pulled through.

After that, I could easily imagine that hunter making his victory speech on tape while the camera watches the deer get up and walk away in the background.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Spike

Definately finish him off. And your right hunsucker, don't act like u wanted to make that shot when u were not aiming there.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

A spine shot isn't always what it appears to be. I'm not proud of this, but I "spined" a doe 2 years ago. She dropped in her tracks, behind a stone wall. I could see her body but not head, and believe me she looked 100% dead. I mean completely motionless. Before I even started getting ready to climb down from my stand, about 5 minutes later, she got up and ran. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Apparently, my shot was close enough to the spine to temporarily paralyze her. She ran down the edge of a cornfield and we followed a very sporadic light blood trail and got to within about 50 yards of her and saw her eyes illuminated by my lantern as she stared at us from her bed. I backed out and returned the next morning, without a bow as there is no Sunday hunting allowed. When I got there, she was standing up and feeding. We got to within 15-20 yards of her and she bolted. There was not one drop of blood where she had bedded down. We ran into her an hour or two later, a good quarter mile of where she had bedded. She looked a little sore, but I'm sure she pulled through.

After that, I could easily imagine that hunter making his victory speech on tape while the camera watches the deer get up and walk away in the background.
I did not want to bring up No mans land but this seems to qualify as questionable case. Im guessing you nicked the spine and hit the lungs, just not enough to make them colapse.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

In my opinion, if you make a bad shot you should admit it, don't act like you made a great shot when you didnt.

I can't remember what show i was watching the other day when i watched someone shoot a dear in the hind quarter and hit the femoral artery. Blood was gushing out everywehre and it was obvious that the deer would die, but he turned around to the camera and was all excited saying, the shot was just a tad back...TAD? Try a foot or two!

I agree though, they guys should finish off the animal and accept the face that he made a bad shot. Theres nothing he can do at that point except do everything he can to make sure he recovers that animal.

There sure have bee a LOT of spine shots on TV lately though...kinda gets old!
i saw that one too and i can't remember what show it was either. lucky shot.

Quick Reply: The Spine Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.