Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has being lazy ever cost you a buck? >

Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Too many times ......sitting when I shoulda been standing .... not having my bow in my hand cuz i got tired holding it [:@]
Only once, for me. I missed an opportunity at a pretty decent 2.5yr old in 2005.....because I was exhausted and got caught sitting down whenI shoud have been more ready. He appeared out of nowhere() and there was nothing I could do.

Did it cost me a deer, though? Not really. I shot him last year as a 4.5 yr old.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had missed shot chances when I was younger, mostly due to not getting up or staying standing when I heard what "could" be a deer. Now I give every twig snap the proper attention. I, like the rest of us have also had those mornings after "those nights" when I should have not played one more game of cards or drank one more 12 pack of Keystone. On one particular morning, a friend watched me snooze while 12 doe walked within 5 yards of me. He woke me up to show me the tracks in the snow.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If falling asleep in stand because I was out a little late the night before with my friends Mr. Daniels and his other friend Mr. Budweiser counts as lazy, then oh yes, I have been lazy a few times. I don't think anything gets you woken up faster than waking up from a 20 minute snooze and having a few deer 30 yards in front of you when you hadn't seen a deer all season!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Too many times ......sitting when I shoulda been standing .... not having my bow in my hand cuz i got tired holding it [:@]
Personally, I sit way more than I stand and I never hold my bow in my hand. I always position my bow hanger so that it is in the optimal position to just reach out and grab it. Being right handed, it is usually on my left side.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never missed a chance because I was sitting down and my bow wasn't in my hand. Even while snoozing, I have a weird sort of 6th sense where I somehow detect an approaching deer whether I hear it or just think I heard it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Personally, I sit way more than I stand and I never hold my bow in my hand. I always position my bow hanger so that it is in the optimal position to just reach out and grab it. Being right handed, it is usually on my left side.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never missed a chance because I was sitting down and my bow wasn't in my hand. Even while snoozing, I have a weird sort of 6th sense where I somehow detect an approaching deer whether I hear it or just think I heard it.
I too use a bowhanger to keep it where I can get to it quickly and easily...and I actually shoot probably 90% of my deerwhile sitting...Ialwaysposition my stands with that in mind.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Being lazy hasn't. But not picking a spot sure has!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It sure did for me. Last year I was hunting, and the squirrels were making noise in the leaves. Each time I'd hear the leaves rustle I'd slowly turn to see if it was a deer. Each timeI looked it ended up being a squirrel. This went on for a while. It got to the point where I wasn't slowly turning to look, I'd just swing my head around.
Well, once again I hear rustling in the leaves, only this time it's much closer to me. Kind of behind me and to the left. So I "swing" my head around to look, expecting it to be just another squirrel. It wasn't. It was the nicest buck (9pt or 10pt)I'd seen in my hunting areaever! Well, he see's me move and just bolts! He was only 10yrds away!!I couldn't fricken believe it. I just shook my head in disbelief.[&o]No, it doesn't pay to be lazy. Beginner's mistake, but I made it anyhow.Lesson learned!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll just quote Greg and save myself the typing that I was going to do!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

While I can't confirm or deny what would've happened if I'd have been able to roll myself out of bed, I can tell you that there have been plenty of Saturday mornings where the after-effects of a long night on the piss have prevented me from waking up and getting myself together.
x2, though I try to limit those nights during the season...

....you'll have that.

A dew and a chew usually prevents a hang over...unless I'm drinking Windsor7's...When that happens, It's all over but the cryin'.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

well kind twice last year the first few weeks i had my bow in my hand unless i was taking a leak or eating. Well once i had my bow on the tree to my left and i had to grabbed it draw back to the left and come around the deer end up behind a tree.
The same thing happen except the deer was in the clear and by the time i got to him i was shaking like a dryer.

And i think i should be shooting more.