Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is lighter...."better"? >

Why is lighter...."better"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is lighter...."better"?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why is lighter...."better"?

Add in to this fact that weight is usually best when added furthest away from the bows center, and now it makes a lot of sense. Now you can add the weight at the ends of the stabilizers rather than have it on the actual bow.
Translate this to hunting.

Why is a light hunting bow (when we're talking about the difference in weight being most times less than 1 pound) so important to many? I don't have an opinion as to why the heavier bow ISN'T "our" best option. It would seem, for hunting, that it would be. Wouldn't a heavier bow (in theory) be quieter?

Again...I don't know.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Lighter isn't better. And for a very long time compounds were very heavy. But it's not really what people want to carry around. Although I think they were better as far as accuracy.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO no, but what the heck do I know
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me lighter isn't better. I don't shoot a light bow very well at all. Come to think of it, I don't shoot any bow real well but I shoot a light much much worse than a heavy bow.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

For the record....I shoot a "lighter" bow. Just asking about the NEED for that, though.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the record....I shoot a "lighter" bow. Just asking about the NEED for that, though.
(Good question)
I don`t know jeff it may be like you sead just another selling point.
But when i look at buying a bow I seem to look at all points.
Bow for bow? Including the weight"

Why i look at the weight?
I think its like in the back of my mind that i see myself carring that thingall around through the woods for long distances on a hot dayor something? "i guess"

I know i don`t like carring any extra weight around if i don`t need to..

As far as shooting is concerned? I like a little weight.
Somewhere around a 4lb bow with all the other extra`s on it, sights, ect.. is plenty for me.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me lighter is worse. I am above average fo size so I have never payed any attention to weight of anything I might be carrying even though I sometimes walk long distances tho maybe that will change as I get older. The reason lighter is worse to me is it is harder to hold steady and shoot accurately, especially in any wind. 'Noise' results from too many other variables in bow design IMO for me to consider in conjunction with weight.

You have made me curious though. I dont know the exact weight of my fully loaded bow, I just know it is heavy, I will have to weigh it sometime. I think it is about 8lbs w/ all accessories and quiver & arrows attached (detached when on stand).
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know! What I do know is, I like a longer ATA, slightly heavier bow for form and performance reasons. I have never hunted the mountainous regions of the western states, soit may very well be a factor for those that do, but that is just a small fraction of short, light bows sold. I would say it has more to do with the speed factor and marketing.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lighter is not better for me either. I usually counter it with accessories anyway but what are we talking, a lb?

I remember back and I think it was quik that condemned a certain bow for it's heavier stature, I think the difference was less than a lb.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - My preferred lighter bows once dressed and with accessories/stabilizer/counter weightswill likely weigh the same as a heavier bow. The lighter bow simply allows me to add the weight where I want it, rather than where it is machined into the bow. What this boils down to when the rubber meets the road.......is improved holding pattern, better stability, more accuracy, and more confidence in my shot. Whether I'm shooting at paper, foam, or a critter, it's an advantage in my eyes.

Quick Reply: Why is lighter...."better"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.