Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to read blood on an arrow >

How to read blood on an arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to read blood on an arrow

Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to read blood on an arrow

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

Bubbles and/or very bright red blood is heart / lung

smell and slimee is intestine/stomach...

Dark blood can be muscle and or liver....

Watch the arrow and learn from experience...
What he said
Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a book called - Finding Wounded Deer - by John Trout Jr.

BobCo-65 recommended this book last year and it is an excellent resource for a bowhunter.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Davidmill- excellent post! Brucelanthier, you took the words right out of my mouth with "Finding Wounded Deer". I also have the book at it is something ever whitetail hunter should have and keep in their hunting rig for quick reference. I keep mine in my glove box all hunting season.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

BobCo-65 recommended this book last year and it is an excellent resource for a bowhunter.
Here is another good source of info. They have posters that include blood examples and hit types, hair types and loactions, disections of an actual deer, etc:

Click_Here
Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM

davidmil you may want to contact ghost busters on that one. They may be looking for the green slimey deer!!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BrownBow33

davidmil you may want to contact ghost busters on that one. They may be looking for the green slimey deer!!
No ghost busters necessary. We took the deer back to camp and skinned it on the spot. This big glob of intestinal half chewed crud was lodged between the front shoulder and the chest wall. Really it was a glob about the size of a small baseball. It had obviously followed the arrow right on down the arrow path and plugged the hole. The deer was full of blood of course when I cut the diaphram to open the chest cavity. All the blood was in the chest cavity. NO HOLES in the intestines and the arrow was just green stinky slime. Both lungs were toast.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 PM

O forgot about taste it...
Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Davidmill- excellent post! Brucelanthier, you took the words right out of my mouth with "Finding Wounded Deer". I also have the book at it is something ever whitetail hunter should have and keep in their hunting rig for quick reference. I keep mine in my glove box all hunting season.
I photocopied the quick reference section and keep those pages in my pack. Yes, everyone should have this book.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Here is another good source of info. They have posters that include blood examples and hit types, hair types and loactions, disections of an actual deer, etc:

Click_Here
Awesome! I get more good info out of one of your posts than I get out of 50 of some other people's posts. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 PM

It has been my experience with deer hit in the liver you need to give then 4-5 hours. One last year covered about 300 yards and bedded down with 35 yards of my Jeep to die. Nice drag....

Quick Reply: How to read blood on an arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.