HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/256431-camp-fire-smoke-cover-scent.html)

Budriser 08-06-2008 04:36 PM

Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent?

I was talking to a guy who films alot of his hunts. Watchingone of hisElk hunts, the Elk are so close they coul've reached out and touched them. I aske what to do or where for scent elimination or cover up? and he said, well, it may seem crazy but for years me and my buddy sit around the camp fire the night before the hunt, with all our camo gear and let the smoke penetrate our clothing and gear. He says he has done this for yearsand it always works. Has anyone ever done this? or ever heard of doing this? Its a first for me.

drdi 08-06-2008 07:44 PM

RE: Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent?

I've definitely heard of doing this. One guy I've hunted with said he used to go toa deer camp every year. The guy who was the cook always smelled like smoke and always seemed to be the first one to get a deer very year. LOL!

Actually someone markets a product that takes advantage of smoke as a cover scent. I've seen it discussed on other forums and the people who have used it swear by it. http://www.scentsmoker.com

passthru79 08-06-2008 07:48 PM

Ive heard of it but have a hard time believing it works. I would rather try to smell like nothing or maybe something like a pine tree, but not smoke. I would think deer would associate the smell of smoke with one of two things, fire or humans maybe even both. I cant help but to think deer would think those smells are danger.

Hurricanespg 08-06-2008 08:14 PM

I have never tried it hunting elk, but I cannot tell you how many times we have been sitting in deer camp with a fire going and a deer strolls through. They do not seem to be alarmedby it at all. I have seen them literally stroll through a large cloud of smoke as if it was not even there.

bawanajim 08-06-2008 08:19 PM

If its a charcoal fire it Will absorb your scent,;)

121553 08-06-2008 08:27 PM

A lot of hunting I do on the western side of montana is through previous burns and at the end of a days hunt I'm covered in soot and yes I smoke my clothes outside prior to a hunt but when I hunt eastern montana there no burns where I hunt so it may alert the game. The secret is if you smoke your clothes is you don't want to be doing it when your cooking eggs and bacon but keep it natural. Sometimes in playing the wind and depending on thermal currents it does give you an edge. I also rub on soot covered trees and rubb down with green foiliage.

Bobby

TeeJay 08-06-2008 10:08 PM

LMFAO!

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

If its a charcoal fire it Will absorb your scent,;)

steve25 08-07-2008 05:39 AM

During gun season we alway sit around the camp fire and and as far as we can tell by the number of deer we harvest it makes no difference. I have had deer come right up to me and I smell like a camp fire smoke. My dad smokes like a freight train and does this on the stand and he takes more deer almost ever year than anyone inour camp. He doesn't try and hunt the wind or anything he just puts out two stands and goes by his gut feeling. Go figure.

Wingbone 08-07-2008 05:43 AM

Actually, formaldihyde in the smoke has antibacterial properties. Meat was smoked to preserve it. the smoke kills the bacteria that causes meat to rot. It is possible that it could also kill the bacteria on your skin or your clothes that would cause odor, as well as mask your scent.

GMMAT 08-07-2008 05:54 AM

I made a post about this several months ago. I can't see a downside to it. What deer hasn't smelled smoke? Why wold he inherently associate danger with that smell?

Now, sure......you'd have to make sure it was leaves/sticks/etc....and NOT a rabbit you had on a rotisserie (sp?).....but I'd hope that went without saying....;)