Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent? >

Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent?

GMMAT makes a good point. The smell of smoke can travel extremely far. Everywhere I hunt has a house within a 1/2 mile or so that has a wood burning stove, pellet stove oroutdoor fireplace, etc. I really can't go anywhere around here without smelling burning wood at some point.

So if the smell of burning wood can travel so far, how could a deer associate the smell to humans? Most of the time that a deer would smell it, nobody is around.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is actually a hunting club in northern NY that every watcher during deer drives lights a small fire, it sounds weird but these guys hunt big woods and they kill a consistant amount of bucks and some decent ones to boot. Not sure if i would ever try it out but it works for them.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a hunting show one time and they were all standing by the campfire that morning before going out using it as coverscent.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 AM

Omg deer run from the scent of smoke, have you guys not seen bambi?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

I know a guy that puts his hunting clothes in a smokerall the time with good success. He hunts from the ground and kills good bucks most years. With wood stoves, campgrounds, etc. the deer are definitely not afraid of smoke.

The Indians used to smear themselves with charcoal from campfires. Why not? I used to camp and hunt in Nebraska and we would wear our hunting clothes around the campfire for that reason and it seemed to work.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of people smoking their clothes to mask human scent, and have heard of the product sold to do that without the trouble of building a campfire. Someone also told me a "secret" someone once told him was to burn a few leaves and stamp them out near your stand, because deer will investigate to see where the source of the smoke is to determine if they need to get out of dodge or not. Also, didn't we used to hear that burnt cork smeared on our faces was good camouflage before most people started wearing face masks? I never tried smoking my clothes but I did put burnt cork on my face when I first started bow hunting. I did see alot of deer, but due to other rookie mistakes never did score (some things never change )
Old 08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

This ScentSmoker product is picking up alot of momentum. However, just so you know- it's nothing more than a Beekeeper's Smoker.

Rob
Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Who is the guy that thought Dog crap was a good cover scent for his boots, I thought it was funny when he had to climb from his ladder stand. All scents are going to make the deer react in someway to a scent. Making them change thier ways will completly void the purpose of scouting in the summer months. No scent and hunting the deer like you patterened them is better.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM

If your area gets burned a lot for controlling the undergrowth then I think it will be a fine cover sent. But if you get winded then Id go with something else.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM

I'm still on the fence on this one. I think ya'all are blowing smoke up my rear.

Quick Reply: Camp Fire Smoke Cover Scent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.