Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 High Fence - Real Life Scenario >

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Where in Ohio is this place?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

You may have said, but how many fenced acres are we talking about at this place?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Ok Jeff. At this stage of the game I should get some background.Is your son aware that YOU aren't a believer in this type of hunt, and why?
Probably not to the extent you guys are.

And if so, then ask him what he thinks about hunting this way, and why he feels the way he does about it.
I stated he probably doesn't know.....but the rest of your point sounds exactly like what I have planned.

If he doesn't personally have a problem with it,and he wants to go,then take him and have a fun time.
That's the plan. And if he asks....I'll tell him truthfully how I feel.....as unbiased as I can. This isn't like car-jacking or stealing stands. PLENTY of people have no issues with this type endeavor....AND they're paying money to do it. We're not paying....OR...he'd hear THAT side of it, too (actually....it wouldn't be brought up if it wasn't so reasonable, fiscally).

Looks like you've changed your mind on how to approach this, EI.

Not really Jeff. I still believe in what I said the first time. But since you got political on me, I figured I'd see how diplomacy worked.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have him pick up his bow and head into the woods with you. Jeff, I give a big hell no to taking your son to a high fence slaughter house.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff,
You know making memories is what it's all about. My son is 17 and I seldom see him anymore because he works after school and doesn't get home until after I'm in bed. If we are lucky we might getina spring turkey hunt together. So if you see this as a way to spend time with you son then go for it! That's what it's all about anyhow. It's really not about the kill. Although if he gets a big one he might think it's pretty cool and want you to take him back every year...LOL
Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

touche', EI.

Lanse....Don't know. But if I remember correctly.....it's about 200 acres.

Brett....I can respect your views. Would it make any difference if he hunted with me a lot?

What if I offered the hunt to any of you guys? I wonder how many, really, would take it? While I can appreciate everyone's views on the subject (which the majority mirror mine).....it is what it is. He'd know that, going in. I wouldn't sugar coat this, but I wouldn't portray it as something HE should be ashamed of, either.

Hell I thought about it for a short time, myself. He's SIXTEEN. Hell likely take a deer bigger than anything he'll ever SEE in his lifetime from stand....if he hunted religiously for the rest of his life. And what if he decided hunting wasn't "that" important to him.....and had views that thought htis was "OK". Like I said....PLENTY of peole pay for these chances, every year. They're not lepers. They just have a differing view as to what "hunting" is than you and I. I don't begrudge them for that.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I can't be bothered to read all these replies. I am retired you know and have to save time for naps every day. LOL Anyway, I'm not a fence hunter. I wouldn't take the hunt for myself so really can't recommend it to your son. There's nothing wrong with hunting a few days, weeks or a year without shooting something. It makes you a better hunter and you appreciate the successes more. Hunting in fences,it's nothing more than picking your venison chops out on the hoof and shooting it. You and I know it's 100 % success, usually in a couple hours. Why don't you just have him tie one up for you. I can't recommend that type of hunting to anyone. It will make them tire of real world hunting in a hurry when they don't shoot 150 inch buck every trip out. I think it's the wrong message. Tell your client thanks but it's just not going to work out right now. You do what you want, but don't be coming on here posting pictures of the great proud poppa and son and think we're going to call it hunting.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I asked WHERE in Ohio?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

You do what you want, but don't be coming on here posting pictures of the great proud poppa and son and think we're going to call it hunting.
I have a strange suspicion that everyone here knows me better than that......incuding you.

Although I gotta be honest with ya, David.....I think there's probably more wool pulled over people's eyes than others might htink when people here discuss where/how they hunt.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I asked WHERE in Ohio?
Sorry. Don't know, really. Millersburg comes to mind, though....unless thats where someone from here is from.....lol.

Quick Reply: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.