HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you see more deer in the AM or PM. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/256225-do-you-see-more-deer-am-pm.html)

Bowtech 360 08-05-2008 08:46 PM

RE: Do you see more deer in the AM or PM.

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360
Always see deer riding the four wheeler at night in the summer.
I'm callin' BS on that one man, ;)

For me I see more deer in the PM (60/40) but I've taken 75% of them in the AM.

Ok, here is how it goes, your riding along and then you see multiple deer running away, the deer arnt afraid of the noise here but when they see its a four wheeler they run away, dont ever get closer then 30 yards but I see them run away.

GMMAT 08-05-2008 08:50 PM

I would venture my results for seeing whitetail are about the same between both evening and morning.

As far as taking a whitetail.. pretty even as well.. maybe a slight (very slight) edge to morning.

But I'd say overall 50/50.
I agree with this post, for me.

Of the 5 bucks I've shot.....3 were evening.....2 were morning. The best 2 were shot in the morning......about 40 yds apart.....two consecutive years.

Until I found a really good morning spot, my sightings were likely 90/10 in favor of evenings. Yeah....my bestmorning spot is THAT good.;)

MichiganWhitetails74 08-05-2008 08:51 PM

I see the most in the evening...but I've killed my biggest in the AM

childers 08-05-2008 11:13 PM

i usually see the most between sun up and 10 am. i see a few groups throughout the main part of the day and then i see some at night. but most in the am

StrutNtom 08-05-2008 11:43 PM

Like someone else stated, I think that most hunters don't see as many deer in the mornings because their set up isn't a morning set up. They use the same tatics as they do for an evening stand and the two simply aren't the same.

I used the be the same way until I stumbledupon the correct morning set up. Now I rather hunt in the mornings than evenings anyday, for two reasons.

1) Itend to see more deer.
2) Ifyou do shoot a deeryou have ALL day to worry about tracking it. I hate tracking adeer at night.

The only "down" sideI've seen about morning hunting is that its some times hard to stop the deer for a shot because theyhave one thing on their mind and thats getting back to their beds.

MarquetteMagnum 08-06-2008 12:22 AM

I hate the morning hunt, get up too early to go out and wait to see, then the deer only move for about 30 min, then nothing till late morning or midday, and then the late afternoon move to the night. I would much rather sleep in and go out around 930am or 1030 and sit till 1pm or 2pm, depending on the day. or just be out by 2pm and sit till dark. I will see more bucks durinng the day and pm. the rut is different so this would be normal season.

StrutNtom 08-06-2008 02:12 AM

ORIGINAL: MarquetteMagnum

I hate the morning hunt, get up too early to go out and wait to see, then the deer only move for about 30 min, then nothing till late morning or midday, and then the late afternoon move to the night. I would much rather sleep in and go out around 930am or 1030 and sit till 1pm or 2pm, depending on the day. or just be out by 2pm and sit till dark. I will see more bucks durinng the day and pm. the rut is different so this would be normal season.
Prime example that your set up probably isn't a good morning set up. On a good day in my morning set upsI can sit and have deer coming under my stand before day light onto lunch time. They also come at a steady pace. I will have three or four come through. Then about 30 to 45 minutes later three or four more. And so on.

A good morning stand isn't a stand on the side of a field or a stand watching over a food plot or feeder. A good morning stand is a stand right along the edges of the bedding areas. Between the food and the beds. The best places are usually creek bottoms or lower land with thick cover. Places that the deer feel comfortable enough to be walking through in day light. I personally think that deer use funnels more during the morning than they do in the evening.

I used to be 100% like you until I learned to hunt true morning set ups.

MarquetteMagnum 08-06-2008 02:21 AM

I know you are correct, and I have moved around to different area's on my property and it is the same. I always have huge corn fields around me. when they are up it is pointless because the deer use the corn for everything and do not need to come out. so then that is where i find the water, and it still is the same.

ButchA 08-06-2008 02:29 AM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I see the most in the evening...but I've killed my biggest in the AM
Same here. I see deer at the edges of fields just waiting to come out and feed. But then again, I killed my first buck at 7:30 am.

Diesel77 08-06-2008 05:04 AM

PM without a doubt. Mainly because I hunt every day after work so my evening hunting far outweighs my morning hunts.80+ afternoon hunts vrs 15 mornings.I can only hunt mornings on Saturdays because of work schedule. MD does not allow hunting Sundays which to me is abssurd.