HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   concerning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/256156-concerning.html)

Brknarrow1970 08-05-2008 08:43 AM

concerning

You know was in the shop the other day and then Gander mtn the next

Something that is concerning to me is the amount of folks that have never shot a bow are out buying equipment at the last minute, our season is 40 some days out -

I am all for new archers and continuing to watch the sport grow as it is our future

But I spoke to at least 6 people that have never shot at of bow of any type that are planning to hunt in 40 days

maybe just a pet peeve

buckmaster 08-05-2008 08:46 AM

RE: concerning

With the proper guidance combined with a ton of practice... they should be fine. jmo.

But if they go and buy a bow, take it home and start flingin a few, start hitting the pie plate a few times and call it good... Id be worried.

twildasin 08-05-2008 08:46 AM

I hear it all the time! As a matter of fact my father in law...prime example! He told me he is going out bow hunting this year, he wants me to take him says he needs no practice(son I killed more deer with this bow then you will ever kill) It looks like a 1970 model! I said well you need to get out and get some camo he said I will hunt in my jeans and t-shirt.[:-]He grew up in the mountains around State College and he is a mountain man but I do things totally different and I know if I don't take him i will hear it from my wife! Noone understands but me!

BobCo19-65 08-05-2008 08:48 AM

I also think with the right advice, they should be fine. If it were a traditional bow, it might be more concerning.

RIStrutStopper 08-05-2008 08:51 AM

See it here all the time. Gotta wonder what they're thinking. They have a special season for a couple of the islands here where you need an archery proficiency card to get tags. I sometimes go to the gun club to watch the circus and get my card (which I don't need but get anyway just-in-case). They put a deer silhouette at 20 yards and you need to shoot 3 out of 5 broadheads into the vitals (which aren't marked in bold so you can't see them from where you shoot unless there are some holes from previous archers. They change targets fairly often). Its amazing how some people can barely hit the paper and are looking to go hunting in a few days.

Kamil 08-05-2008 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I hear it all the time! As a matter of fact my father in law...prime example! He told me he is going out bow hunting this year, he wants me to take him says he needs no practice(son I killed more deer with this bow then you will ever kill) It looks like a 1970 model! I said well you need to get out and get some camo he said I will hunt in my jeans and t-shirt.[:-]He grew up in the mountains around State College and he is a mountain man but I do things totally different and I know if I don't take him i will hear it from my wife! Noone understands but me!
I wouldn't take him and take the heat from your wife.

childers 08-05-2008 08:58 AM

yeah i got my bow and after a few weeks i was out hunting. i thought i would be fine. i got a doe like the second day i went hunting.

kickin_buck 08-05-2008 09:03 AM

I see this type of thing every year. The range is packed at the bow shop a few weeks before the season starts, mostly with people who have not seen their bow since last Nov. The are shooting a group that looks like it came out of a shotgun, 6 different arrows, with 6 different size FP. I watch them and I feel sorry for the deer! I have often said that hunters should have to pass some type of accuracy test before they are allowed to go out and shoot up the woods. It would not have to be anything super hard, let's say 5 arrows in a 6" group, I don't think that is asking too much.

dstubb 08-05-2008 09:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. These guys may become a decent shot come season opener but i highly doubt that they will have many shot opportunities. Killing a deer with bow and arrow is not an easy feat. It requires much more than being able to accurately shoot and these guy's will learn this once the season is over and they have nothing to show for. Trust me, i was one of these people just a few years ago. I probably went bow hunting 50 times my first season and saw only a couple of deer that were 150 yards out or further. God forbid i had a shot opportunity because i was so shaky after seeing those deer at long distance. I look back now and think "what the hell was i thinking".

FLboy77 08-05-2008 09:13 AM

I know! People think its as easy as shooting a gun! Just pick it up and pull the trigger!! No its not that easy. Ive been shooting for four years and this will be my first year acually bowhunting.