HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Homemade wind checker?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/256079-homemade-wind-checker.html)

Dewbaby 08-04-2008 08:23 PM

Homemade wind checker??

I saw the primos one at the shop today and was wondering if any of you guys make your own? and if so with what and how?

mohunter82 08-04-2008 08:30 PM

RE: Homemade wind checker??

I simply attached a small piece of yarn to my bow hanger. its at eye level and i use a bright color that easily visible.

Dr Andy 08-04-2008 08:31 PM

I usually use the windchecker powder, It's really cheap, but I've heard you can use the fuzzy stuff that comes out of honeysuckle, or any other airborn weed seeds, just pack em in a film canister (they still make those don't they?)

jag-mag 08-04-2008 09:05 PM

Corn starch in small squeeze bottle.Have been known to lick finger to test wind direction also, grandpa taught me that one;)

buckmaster 08-04-2008 09:25 PM

I usually like to take a can of Axe Vice body spray, just turn the can upward and spray a light mist.

sandilands 08-04-2008 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

I usually like to take a can of Axe Vice body spray, just turn the can upward and spray a light mist.
AXE doesn't work round here. Try old spice.;)
Personally i think it cheeper to use and old lock de-cier bottle and flour/cornstarch[:-]

Schultzy 08-04-2008 09:56 PM

The best thing I've found is dirt cheap. Free actually.;) Go and find a Milk Weed plant and take the stuff out of the pods when it starts to open up. It should be good and dry then. Sprays, powders, strings don't cut it for me. What the wind is doing 5' in front of your face may not be doing 20 yards from you. I let a piece of milk weed go and it goes in every direction the wind takes it and its visible forever until its a ways out of sight. You would be surprised how your wind changes direction 30 to 40 feet from your stand.

Bowtech 360 08-04-2008 10:00 PM

Step 1: Raise arm to mouth level
Step 2: Lick index finger
Step 3: Hold out licked index finger so your elbow makes a 90 degree angle
Step 4: Feel what side is the coldest
Step 5: Enjoy the new bow you baught with all the money you saved on wind finders, tell tales if your a sailor.

bigbulls 08-04-2008 10:40 PM

Just take a couple of cotton balls and tear off small tufts of cotton and let them float in the air. You can watch it for quite a ways and see what the air currents are doing farther out.

sixgunluvr 08-04-2008 11:09 PM

I'm with Shultzy on this one. Here's 3 easy steps!
Step 1: Find Milkweed Step 2: Extract seeds from pod. Step 3: Place in container of your choosing.