Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Well, What if you see a fully matured buck that is genetically inferior? such as a 5.5 year old 3x3 wont even break 80 inches?

Ryan.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

100% for them, luv them, hope they never go away.

mez, all game laws regarding deer tell people what they can and cannot shoot and when. Antler restrictions are about the deer, without them here in PA it would be the same old slaughter of 1.5 year olds as it was in the past.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM

AR's are in place not for the guy looking for the next state record. Its about and should be about a healthy deer herd. Which as some states are experiencing a problem with. The one I know for sure is PA. The state I live in. Its not about telling someone what they can or cannot shoot, its about developing and controlling a deer herd, a healthy one at that, for the future, for all hunters. Look at it as a practice that will insure your grandchildren will have healthy deerpopulationto hunt.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Doesnt affect me, but 3 antlers would mean a 4 point was the smallest buck you could shoot, I would be happy with a spike right now.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Well, What if you see a fully matured buck that is genetically inferior? such as a 5.5 year old 3x3 wont even break 80 inches?

Ryan.
that buck would make the most restrictive AR ...... I would think anyway ....
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

How does restricting which Bucks you can shoot but not restricting which Does you can shoot make for a healthier herd?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like antler restrictions, it allows the buck in most cases to not get shot because during the rut deer come running in and the hunter has to count 4 points on one side and sometimes the buck doesnt allow u the chance to do that so it lives another year
Old 08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PABuckbuster12

AR's are in place not for the guy looking for the next state record. Its about and should be about a healthy deer herd. Which as some states are experiencing a problem with. The one I know for sure is PA. The state I live in. Its not about telling someone what they can or cannot shoot, its about developing and controlling a deer herd, a healthy one at that, for the future, for all hunters. Look at it as a practice that will insure your grandchildren will have healthy deerpopulationto hunt.
Exactly

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

How does restricting which Bucks you can shoot but not restricting which Does you can shoot make for a healthier herd?
MI is a great example, Jackson County has like 100 deer per sq mile. We had over 5000 doe permits left over in Jackson county. Just crazy, now if DNR wants to permit more doe harvest how are they going to do so? We already had 5000+ permits unsold, AR is the answer IMO. AR force hunters to shoot does, in a state condition to shoot bucks AR are great IMO.

Bruce when we start shooting 70% 1.5 does, I bet we have some issues
Old 08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

in PA it has to have 3 points on one side for it to be legal I do believe.... thus making it a rare occourance but it could happen and then you have that buck knocking out a bunch of does, thus making more bucks it could get out of control fast but looking at it like that what if the buck dosent ever get noticed or killed and its bucks have little bucks that would make a whole area genetially inferior right? Its sorta a touchey subject.

Ryan.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

This is a GREAT question .......

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.