Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody watch Keith Warren, today?  "No mans Land"/ "Void" >

Anybody watch Keith Warren, today? "No mans Land"/ "Void"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody watch Keith Warren, today? "No mans Land"/ "Void"

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody watch Keith Warren, today? "No mans Land"/ "Void"

The problem with the term Jeff is there is no defined area which can be called "no man's land." That is why it is misinformation. As most now agree, a arrow hit below the spine still hits the lungs, the lungs are not homogeneous and hence, some(very few) deer can survive a variety of lung hits. Should we start calling vertical shots that only catch one lung and are also (relatively) low percentage hitting "no man's land" as well?

The way I see it, there is a big difference between a new hunter that is taught hitting just below the spine is "no man's land" and one who is taught they caught the tops of the lungs but due to the thinness of the lungs and (relative) lack of blood flow through that spot a recovery may be difficult....hence why our terminology matters. If you cannot see that difference, well go suck eggs j/k....
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would simply put it like this...

It is possible to hit a deer below the spine, in the chest and it survive. However, it is also possible to win the lottery and be hit by lightning on the same day!

There is no void, only very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very lucky deer. If we try to act like it is possible, as in on the same level as realistically encountering it in ones lifetime, then everyone who ever shoulders a deer is going to say that they are a victim of the "freak" incident that was discussed here. Hence, the invention of the term "void" in the first place.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

If we try to act like it is possible, as in on the same level as realistically encountering it in ones lifetime, then everyone who ever shoulders a deer is going to say that they are a victim of the "freak" incident that was discussed here. Hence, the invention of the term "void" in the first place.
Jim...

I don't dispute that one bit. The more I think about it....the less I think we even ought to talk about it.

Thing is.....a one-lung hit on a whitetail is VERY, Very...(you get the picture)....likely a lethal shot. I don't want people hitting one there and looking for an hour and saying..."He'll be OK....I hit him in no man's land".

In that we all agree, I hope.

Point taken.......

Thanks Rob....Jim....all.....
Old 08-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Ok I didn't read every post, but most of them on here now.
Here is a pic of the buck I hit for your viewing pleasure. I don't know what I did or didnt hit, but the deer survived.
The pencil is pointing to the spot I hit where the hair is matted down it looks like. I'll post 2 pics, cuz they arent very clear. I had to take a pic of a 35mm picture cuz I dont have a scanner. I shot him on September 18, the pic was taken on November 17.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

And that looks to be above the spine
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its above the spine!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

And that looks to be above the spine
I couldn't agree more!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Quite a ways above the spine. In the second picture, where the shadow from the end of the pencil falls would be about where the chest cavity begins.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I must be a lottery winner then becuase I have seen the pictures of a deer that was shot one day with a bow and then shot the following day with a gun and after the deer has been gutted, you can see very clearly in the picture (both before guuting and skinning and after) that the shot is below the spine. In the picture after he is gutted you can see the broadhead holes in through both ribs just below the spine and then you can see the bullet hole through the rib cage that eventually ended his life. Which, apparently wasn't going to end anytime soon as they (Bill and his guide) watched the deer come out of the brush and jump and barbedwire fence and begin feeding in the peanut field over 24 hours after the initial shot.The guy I am talking about is a long time bowhunter that's in his mid fifties and been around the block a time or two and just got back from Africa on a bowhunting Safari. Not that any of this makes him special just noting this to say this is no novice of which I speak.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 PM

I got to thinking about that once I read alot of posts in this thread and looked at the anatomy pics of deer. I had no idea the vertebrates went so high up, but I didn't think there was anything above the spine

Quick Reply: Anybody watch Keith Warren, today? "No mans Land"/ "Void"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.