Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st time groundblind user... >

1st time groundblind user...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st time groundblind user...

Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st time groundblind user...

I am going to try and hunt out of a portable ground blind for the 1st time this year, I have read and know about making sure it's "brushed" in, but where do you guys set up at? Field edges? Water sources (early season)?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st time groundblind user...

Hi solo,
Water sources, fileld edges, funnels...etc. just as you would with a tree stand. Also, just as you would with a tree stand try and break up your silhouette.Tuck it into some bushes, place it under a tree with low hanging brances.

One small difference. If you are hunting a deer trail through the woods and you are in a tree stand you can almost use a tree that is right on the trail. With a ground blind you would most likely try and place the blind 10-20 yards off that trail

Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will you be able to set it up and leave it or will it be set up for the day or weekend then have to move it?

From my experience, if you can leave it out, then just put it up about a month before season, do some minor brushing and it will be fine. The deer will get used to it. If you have to remove it regularly and can't leave it up for extended periods, then you have to heavily brush it in. As far as where to set it, set it in the same places you would if you were tree stand hunting.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

Will you be able to set it up and leave it or will it be set up for the day or weekend then have to move it?

From my experience, if you can leave it out, then just put it up about a month before season, do some minor brushing and it will be fine. The deer will get used to it. If you have to remove it regularly and can't leave it up for extended periods, then you have to heavily brush it in. As far as where to set it, set it in the same places you would if you were tree stand hunting.
It'll be left out......when should I set it out?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our season opens around teh first of October so I usually set mine out Labor Day weekend.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

the blind just need to have some matching brush against it to help it blend it.

im still deciding on weather to buy a climbing treestand or a blind. i have used stands before but never a store bought blind. which would you buy.