Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It's august.  Do you know where the meat's going? >

It's august. Do you know where the meat's going?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's august. Do you know where the meat's going?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default It's august. Do you know where the meat's going?

Now's the time to think about where your venison (if you're lucky enough to score) will be going. I'm sure many/most/(if not all) of you LOVE the whitetail as table fare.....as we do. But we have liberal limits and a long season. I found out 1/2 way through my '06 season that I either needed to stop hunting (I'd killed what I thought we could eat) or find somewhere for the meat to go.

Nowadays......I donate meat to a family of 15.....to my neighbors......and to my co-workers. I'm set....and couldn't kill too many deer for it to be a problem.

If you have plans to shoot more than your family can eat, though.....it seems like the ethical thing to do is find someone else who can utilize the meat. Nothing unethical....as long as the animal's being eaten by someone.

Youmight also check with your pastor. He might just know ofa familythat may be in need.....but wants to keepthat needhidden. How awesome would THAT be tohelp them?....even anonymously (as we do).

You've still got some time, now, though. Just something to think about.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: It's august. Do you know where the meat's going?

We don't eat a whole lot of wild game meat but we love hunting. I usually give mine to family or friends. But if they already have some or don't want any then it goes to Share The Harvest here in Missouri. I just take to the processor and local businesses donate to cover the cost of processing. I think it is a very good program. I always skin and quarter my deer so they don't have to be out the expense of doing that. Just tring to do my part. And no I don't keep the tender loins or back straps they go to the processor too.

But this year I see us eating more deer meat have you looked at the price of meat lately!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I just started to eat venison a little bit again. Last year my neighbor and I bought a meat mixer to go with his big grinder, a sausage press and a bunch of sausage kits. Last year I processed about 175# of meat in to slim jims, salami, and kabasi.This year I plan on doing about the same amount. The rest of the deer I shoot will be donated to the carnivore preserve down the street from me. I had donated a lot to the hunters for the hungry but that requires you to butcher the deer into qtrs and take a little better care of the meat. I can just drop the whole deer off to the preserve 24 hours a day. Gave them around 7 deer last year. However, I do reccomend the H for H programs. They do good work.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 AM

We (my family) eat everything i bring home...my kids love "bambi bites' as they call them.. our family will eat 3-4 dear each year. Any more than that we make a bunch of sausage, jerky,ect...and share with our relatives.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pa's Hunter'sSharing the Harvest get's at least one deer per year from me.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mine will be going into next years supply of bologna. MMMmmm MMMmmm
Old 08-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Last year I had a pleasant surprise. With the freezer still full of venison, wild turkey, home-raised chickens, etc, we decided the last deer we would harvest would get donated. All donated meat around here has to go through a processor, so we decided to just go ahead, pay the fee and use it as a tax deduction. When we got to the local processor, we found out the local chapter of Whitetails Unlimited along with a couple other groups had raised money and partnered with the local processor to cover the cost for anyone who wanted to donate a deer to the local food bank. Wow! That was sweet. The deer got put to use. We didn't have to pay a dime. AND we got to keep the tenderloins for ourselves.

This year, I am not sure. Will have to take a better inventory closer to season, but we may have enough for another year since there are only two of us.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

check your state many have programs of hunters for the hungry that you can donate. my state you can donate fish as well. or find a locale soup kitchen. My brother cooks for one and they will always accept free meat for the homeless
Old 08-02-2008, 01:57 PM

my wife's sister has a large family (5 kids), so if i am lucky enough to harvest an animal this year, we will probably give half of the meat to them.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

"It's august. Do you know where the meat's going?"

My wife just had a baby, I know where the meat is not going for awhile.

Quick Reply: It's august. Do you know where the meat's going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.