HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Illinois Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/255672-illinois-hunters.html)

BrownBow33 08-02-2008 03:09 AM

Illinois Hunters

I know that I read somewhere that salt/mineral blocks are illegal in Illinois but just wanted to make sure. So im asking you Illinois hunters, and if they are does anyone have an alternative that is legal?

Thanks

solocamcan 08-02-2008 03:11 AM

RE: Illinois Hunters

You can use salt or minerals, you just have to remove them a certain number of days before hunting season.

BrownBow33 08-02-2008 03:37 AM

I found this in the Illinois Hunting/Trapping Regulation Guide. Am I reading something wrong or is there another thing in the guide that says we can use them? I hate not being able to put salt blocks down.

Feeding Wildlife
It is unlawful to make available food, salt,
mineral blocks or other products for ingestion
by wild deer or other wildlife in areas where
wild deer are present.

Except:
 elevated bird/squirrel feeders providing
seed, grain, fruit, worms, or suet for birds
or squirrels located within 100 feet of a
dwelling devoted to human occupancy.
 incidental feeding of wildlife within active
livestock operations.
 feeding of wild animals, other than wild
deer, by hand as long as a reasonable attempt
is made to clean up unconsumed
food.
 feeders for wildlife other than deer so
long as deer are excluded from the feed
in and around the feeder by fencing or
other barriers.
 standing crops planted and left standing as
food plots for wildlife.
 grain or other feed scattered or distributed
solely as a result of normal agricultural,
gardening, or soil stabilization practices.
 standing, flooded, or manipulated natural
vegetation or food/seed deposited by natural
vegetation.
 grain or other feed distributed or scattered
solely as the result of manipulation of an
agricultural crop or other feed on the land
where grown, for purposes of dove hunting.
 food material placed for capturing or killing
wildlife pursuant to 520 ILCS 5/2.37, 2.30,
and 1.3.
 scientific permits issued pursuant to 17 Ill.
Adm. Code 520 that allow food to attract
wildlife.
 any other permits issued by the Department
of Natural Resources that require the
attraction of wildlife for purposes of management,
research or control.
 Violation of the provisions of this part is a
Petty Offense with a maximum fine of
$1,000.

lifesadrag 08-02-2008 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: BrownBow33

I know that I read somewhere that salt/mineral blocks are illegal in Illinois but just wanted to make sure. So im asking you Illinois hunters, and if they are does anyone have an alternative that is legal?

Thanks
Just good old fasioned tactics.....if you make it too easy they don't getso big anymore!

IL-Cornfed 08-02-2008 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

You can use salt or minerals, you just have to remove them a certain number of days before hunting season.
That is the FORMER law regarding minerals/salt...... before CWD founds it's way to Illinois.

The new law was added to protect our animals against this horrible disease. It's certainly not something Illinosi sportsman want to see sweep through the state.

I believe there is still much confusion regarding this law because there are numerous stores in the state that still regularly sell mineral blocks and other supplements aimed at deer. Unfortunately it's not illegal for these stores to sell these items, yet it ISillegal for YOU to use them!

silbowhunter 08-02-2008 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

That is the FORMER law regarding minerals/salt...... before CWD founds it's way to Illinois.

The new law was added to protect our animals against this horrible disease. It's certainly not something Illinosi sportsman want to see sweep through the state.

I believe there is still much confusion regarding this law because there are numerous stores in the state that still regularly sell mineral blocks and other supplements aimed at deer. Unfortunately it's not illegal for these stores to sell these items, yet it ISillegal for YOU to use them!
He is 100% correct, been this way for a fewyears now

BrownBow33 08-02-2008 05:53 PM

Thanks a lot. Not what I was hoping to hear but that clears it up for me.

solocamcan 08-02-2008 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Thanks for the info...I didn't realize it had changed, I don't use any of that stuff anyways.

jmbuckhunter 08-02-2008 09:02 PM

Yep, every store in town sells the stuff, but it's illegal to use. I wonder what the people buying it are using it for???;)

Maybe wallpapering theirmancave with the bags.:D