Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bowhunters do it the "hard" way? >

How many bowhunters do it the "hard" way?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bowhunters do it the "hard" way?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many bowhunters do it the "hard" way?

No offense but this is an absurd question and / or poll. [&:]

A question to expand on the original question.

Sinceif you don't use any of those thing that person is doing it the "hard" way, the Tred Barta way.

What about the native Americans. It is well documented that they used camoflage in the way of animal skins, natural foliage,and makeup, they used scents, they made calls and such out of just blades of grass and other items, they used cover scents, they used antlers and bonesto simulate bulls fighting or thrashing a tree.

Did they do it the easy way or the hard way? Does you hat go off to them?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my younger days I was quite capable of climbing the local sycamore tree to a lofty position overlooking the terrain. From my high vantage point I was able to see the wiley mossy horns as he ambled thru the thick brush and lush fauna of the native Louisiana swamps. I would admire these animals hours on end while never being detected because of my utter cat-like stealthiness. If per chance an admirable specimaen showed himself a worthy adversary, I would ready myself to perform an ambush of proportions only our savage ancestors ever dreamed about. As I leaped astride the panting beast in all his muscular glory and rode him to the ground in true bull-dog fashion, I would have to ask myself, "Does this really demand it?" After coaxing him to the ground bare handed and examining my worthy, yet weakened adversary, I would then determine whether the Northerners would understand what "demanding it" really means. If the need for food on the table was a pressing issue at the time, I would then, with the mighty twist of my wrists, snap his neck and gently lay him to rest. Long live the beast.

Long live "TDWW". I miss that guy.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

no scent, had bad luck with it a couple of times and said screw it.
and as for food or baiting, I will put in food plots some day
Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 AM

I do it my way, the..

Oh wait a minute, that's someone else's line. Nevermind!

I am just a young padawan in training. This is not a fair chase question to me. [8D]
Old 08-02-2008, 03:05 AM

I dont think by using those items it means that you arent doing it the "hard" way. Someone who uses scents or attractants may be working just as "hard" as anyone else in the field but feels that the edge gained from using the items vs. not usingthe items is needed. Hunting with scents and attractants such as calls, decoy's, urine etc. is a smart way of hunting (granted it works in your area).
Old 08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Brett,
I agree with everything your saying 100%. I started this poll as a follow up to a sidetrack that got going in the Deer Hunting Forum in a thread about Outfitters. There was someone who made a comment about doing
things the hard way,then someone else responding with a comment about what the "hard way" really was.

I wanted to see what percentage of bowhunter on this forum used the items listed above. Of the 153 respondents- only EIGHT of them claimed to not use ANY of the items listed above! That's only 5% !! I consider this percentage a vast minority & feel it's a pretty accurate representation of real life.

Rob

ORIGINAL: BrownBow33

I dont think by using those items it means that you arent doing it the "hard" way. Someone who uses scents or attractants may be working just as "hard" as anyone else in the field but feels that the edge gained from using the items vs. not usingthe items is needed. Hunting with scents and attractants such as calls, decoy's, urine etc. is a smart way of hunting (granted it works in your area).
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Over here in New Zealand you will find hardly any of that stuff used. The only thing from that list that i and most hunters here use in camo clothing.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have all that stuff except the food attractant but I dont use it all. Maybe a new poll and ask how many use tree stands compared to hunting just from the ground with or without a blind.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

This was a very interesting poll. Only 8 respondents out of a total of 178 chose "none of the above".
That's only 4% !!

Rob
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Would have been interesting to see the responses to this poll circa-1970.

Quick Reply: How many bowhunters do it the "hard" way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.