Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bear Baiting, a "Double Standard"? >

Bear Baiting, a "Double Standard"?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Baiting, a "Double Standard"?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Baiting, a "Double Standard"?

The fact that you refer to feeding bears or deer as baiting already establishes a negative mind set. As if "baiting" is somehow an unfair advantage. Bear and deer hunting is not a GAME it's part of the cycle of our predatory lives. If the wolf or coyote had the brains of a human to "bait" their prey, do you think they would?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kyle there was a few post's made in HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED's thread that really caught my attention. I'm sure one was just a shot at me but the comments from the others really had me wondering how and why they come to there conclusions. Do most of the people that make these comments do any bear hunting? Do they think its just like baiting deer? For the most part I think most people are way uneducated when it comes to this bait thing with bear. In most of the states that baiting isn't allowed, its that way because the anti hunters pushed for it and got it, not the hunters! Spring bear seasons are disappearing as well, again the anti's are the pushers there once again.

Baiting deer isn't a must one bit in Mn to be successful in shooting a deer. Baiting bear however is damn near a must. When your hunting bear in the northern woods of Mn you can't hardly see 10 yards in front of your face. It would damn near be impossible to sit on a "game trail" (I've never seen just a bear trail in a big woods without ag crops around the area) and hope a bear walks down it. Yes you could sit on a oats field or corn field but how many of them are on Public land in northern Mn, not one that I know of. Its all big woods up there. Most of these agriculture fields are all on private land.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

In Minnesota, it is legal to bait bear. However, it is illegal to bait deer. If both were legal, I'd still bait bear but I would not bait deer.

What is you're take on this? What do you think of bear baiting? Without baiting, not many bears would be killed
If both were legal in you're state, would you bait only bear, only deer, or both? Bear only

Why? Baiting deer is allowed where I hunt. I would rather not have baiting. There are many reasons I would like baiting ended. Too many to type them all out.

Do you believe baiting bear is unethical? No
Does anyone live in a state where baiting bear is legal, and do not partake in this precedure? If I was a bear hunter I would at some point try to take one without baiting.

I believe baiting bear in Minnesota, where I live would be the ONLY way to kill a bear. Never say never!
My farm is surrounded by swamps, and they don't often leave them. To shoot a bear without bait would be near impossible. They do roll in corn fields oncein a GREAT while but this is usually at night, or out of season.

Just curious, really. I don't plan on changing my ways
As it should be!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting is what it is.

Food or other lure placed on a hook or in a trap and used in the taking of fish, birds, or other animals
The fact you refer to baiting as feeding, makes it sound like it isn't there for a purpose other than nutrition. I put out a BAIT to KILL a bear. I lure the bear in.

It isn't an unfair advantage, but it sure puts the odds in you're corner.

And yes, a wolf or coyote would bait their prey, I'm glad they don't.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I believe baiting bear in Minnesota, where I live would be the ONLY way to kill a bear. Never say never!
I didn't[8D]

My farm is surrounded by swamps, and they don't often leave them. To shoot a bear without bait would be near impossible.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't[8D]

My farm is surrounded by swamps, and they don't often leave them. To shoot a bear without bait would be near impossible.
I don't want to split hairs but yes you did!......... And later you contradicted yourself
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't[8D]

My farm is surrounded by swamps, and they don't often leave them. My farm is surrounded by swamps, and they don't often leave them. To shoot a bear without bait would be near impossible.
I don't want to split hairs but yes you did!......... And later you contradicted yourself
Yeah, you're right.

But I believe:

My farm is surrounded by swamps, and they don't often leave them. To shoot a bear without bait would be near impossible. (here)

You got me with semantics. Damn.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Maryland, you can bait deer, but not bears.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

we can bait bear in Maine but not deer. I have never tried but plan to in the future. Many good people in maine make their living guiding hunters for bear over bait. About two years ago their was a referendum on the ballot to outlaw baiting bear. Alot of money from out of state came in to help pass the law. The referendum failed, but by a very little margin. It wasn't until then did i realize how important this practice is and how many people provide for their families baiting bear.In MAine we have big woods and even baiting is no guarantee you are going to harvest a black bear.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

In Minnesota, it is legal to bait bear. However, it is illegal to bait deer. If both were legal, I'd still bait bear but I would not bait deer.
The answer to your question (is it a double standard) is not in what is legal or not in your state.....but how you view each. WHY wouldn't you bait deer? Answer that and you'll go a long way to answering your own question.

We can't baitbears in my state.....yet they're killed by hunters, every year (heaviest bear ever came from my state.....and we grow some WHOPPERS, here).

They can't bait them in VA....but a buddy of mine just sent me photos of the 2nd one he's had taxidermied in the last 3 seasons (both bowkills).

Its NOT "impossible". Will it make you have to HUNT for them, though? You have answer that one for yourself.

Answer the question in bold, underlined (above).....and you'll answer your own question.

Quick Reply: Bear Baiting, a "Double Standard"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.