Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cutovers

Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default cutovers

Who has hunted cutovers on the site, any tricks or methods that work effectively

I like to hunt the edge of cutovers, maybe 30-40 yards in, the deer seem to funnel along the edges pretty well
Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cutovers

My North Carolina situation is identical. One of my best spots is a ground blind set inside a pineplantation bordering a cut over. The cutovers here are god awful landscapes of huge, water filled ruts and leftover logs. I don't see a lot of deer in the cutover -which I have to cross to arrive at the ground blind. Here's a pic of a rattle snake from a cutover last summer. I hate walking in there during warm weather...

Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Default RE: cutovers

I assume a cutover means the same thing as a clearcut. I hunt county and federal land exclusively that has been getting cut like crazy. Supposedly these can be looked at as a crop field because deer like to eat the regrowth. There is also good cover thanks to all the brush piles that are left behind. However there are so many of these clearcuts that the low density deer heard is spread out between them and I haven't noticed any one being more productive than another. I haven't had much luck with them, but I'm not willing to give up yet. I plan on climbing a high tree on the edge of one that they'll finish cutting just before the season and just watching it to see if it's worth a set up and to try to get a better idea of how, when, and why they use cutover's.