Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What plays a role in your arrow selection... >

What plays a role in your arrow selection...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What plays a role in your arrow selection...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What plays a role in your arrow selection...

Ive never got into the arrow game...

A gold tip XT Hunter has a straightness tolerence of .003 Ok thats more than plentylow enough. What exactlygoes into your decision making when selecting what arrow to shoot?

I know weight may be a contributing factor to some. But what I'm asking is, Is there one arrow more accurate than another? Toughness comes to mind also, But Ive never herd of a GT being anything But one of the toughest arrows on the market. And I can split shafts all day long.

Im just trying to learn what goes into deciding the perfect arrow. I shoot GT's and have never questioned them. So what makes you guys?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What plays a role in your arrow selection...

It's usually just whatever I can get my hands on. Hunting shafts, I don't have TOO much of a preference. I just PREFER it to be atleast .003 straightness, and atleast 8.0 GPI. I'd shoot just about ANYTHING to hunt with.

For target, things get a little more complicated. I just shoot Fatboys . They are hard to beat.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I used Radial x-weaves my first season, hunting. Good arrow.....but they were never tested. I used them again in '06 and they were OK....but brittle. I probably broke 3-4 that season (or more). Decided to try a/c/c's in '07.....looking to add toughness and weight. Never looked back.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

As of the last few years I've went exclusively to aluminum/carbon arrows. I love the A/C Superslims and since they've been discontinued I'll shoot the ACC's(will hunt with the Slims until they are depleted).
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've used easton Axis of Beman MFX. I like the slim arrows. After seeing Jeffs ACCs I think I know what my next dozen are going to be. They appear to be a pretty tough shaft.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quality, straightness tolerance, spine variance, made in USA
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I used Radial x-weaves my first season, hunting. Good arrow.....but they were never tested. I used them again in '06 and they were OK....but brittle. I probably broke 3-4 that season (or more). Decided to try a/c/c's in '07.....looking to add toughness and weight. Never looked back.
I had the same issue with the X-Weaves, being VERY BRITTLE, switched to Cabela's/Beman arrows in my sig. line because they spined right to my set-up and were medium weight for decent speed/energy. I don't think you really know how durable something is until you shoot them and maybe bust one, but I've found they're VERY durable for my use. At .003 straightness, they shoot pretty well I was just shooting them yesterday with my OLD Hoyt, and shot this 2 shot group from 26 yds......

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty easy for me, I shoot XX-78s...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't arrow shop or for that matter shop too much archery equipmenttoo much, if it works and has not been an issue in my set up, I continue to use it. That being said I shot CX for years but they kept getting discontinued after changing modelsa couple times, the last time I needed arrows and they didn't make them anymore I switched to GT's about 5 years ago and that is what I shoot today, as long as they don't change them upI will stick with them, they have always gotten the job done....Matter of fact I just ordered another dozen and will be building them next week....
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the acc's best for accuracy and tuffness, I also shot the beeman Ics hunters for a few years - good shaft as well.

Quick Reply: What plays a role in your arrow selection...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.