Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you take it? >

Would you take it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you take it?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Would you take it?

That would be a great plan but in Ohio you can hunt as close to bait as you wish. I think that i am just going to take it down and let the landowner do with it as he wishes.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dstubb

That would be a great plan but in Ohio you can hunt as close to bait as you wish. I think that i am just going to take it down and let the landowner do with it as he wishes.
Dustin, I wouldn't mess with it. Because they will call the law and say they have reason to believe you took their stand. When the law questions the farm owner he may admit that you took it and you will get in serious trouble.

Although I don't like what they guys are up to sometimes you just don't have any recourse.

Now, what I would do is go to the land owner that their stand is on and see if they are trespassing again.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

me and my cousin were put in similar situations, when this past turkey season in ohio we were hunting private property, we were callin and having alot of answering back (gobbles)...suddenly it stopped, then noticed two human heads poking around some trees and staring at our blind we where in. we got out and told them to pretty much leave and that they were tresspassing..there answer was..they thought wewere messin with them by doing all of the calling..they also said they were curious to hear all the gobbles around the area...cut me a break here i mite be 25..but im not stupid,ive been in the woods since i could walk...figuring with my hunt ruined by these idiots and a bad rain storm coming in my weekned was over with... the next morning in the pouring rain and the same exact spot i shot this ol tom...BUT to answer thequestion i would keep the peace and keep a close eye, cause they will mess up again and next time be ready with some chains and the 4-wheeler to drag that damn stand out of the woods!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Just last week, I saw someone claiming that bleach was an ATTRACTANT. Something to do with the sodium in it I think. If this is the case, and I am very skeptical, it would not be a good idea to put bleach.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most people would suggest a way to mess them up, hunting-wise, as you can see. But I would confront them face-to-face, and tell them to get the hell off my property, and don't hang a stand anywhere near my line. Yeah it's legal, but I don't like it and I'll let em know it.If I see two guys walking under MY stand on MY property on their way to their stand just on the other side of the line, and I shine my light on em and they run, then that tells me that they know they're in the wrong. Why else would they run? You gotta think, they're sittin at home thinkin of ways to hunt your property, to poach on YOUR land. They know it aint right. Don'tlet em come close to killin a deer on your property. They know they should'nt be doing that, and you need to let em know that. I have hadMANY problems with trespassers, and every single time I see em, I confront em and tell him NOT to step foot on my property. Don't hunt it, don't park your truck on it, don't even take an innocent summer stroll through it with your wife and kids. It's trespassing when you step foot on someone else's property. I alwayslook em dead in theeye and ask em what they are doing? Some of em are a lot bigger than me, and yea they got a gun. If they wanted to try and whip my butt or kill me, they might could, but think about it, how many guys actually got the balls to shoot somebody else?You need to stand up and get em outta there. If you don't, it'll keep happening. When I confront a trespasser, most of the time they mumble some bulls*it and leave. They always come back, and I do it all over again. Also, you HAVE to putup lots of signs. Post the property and let em know you mean business. Ask the landowner if you can put up a gate or something to make it tougher for them to get ontoyour property on their way to theirs. I have put up hundreds of signs over the past few years, lots of em get torn down by the punks, but I just put em right back up. I haven't hadthatbig of a problem with em lately, but I'm sure I will come gun season, and I'll be right there in their face pointing towards the road. Don't waste your time messing with the stand or location, that'll just get em mad and make em get back at you in the same way. They'll say, "Well he messed with our stand, let's mess with his while he aint here." If you talk to em face to face, they can't say anything and most guys will back down. Get to the root of it and get serious with the trespassers. On the other hand, I know it aint legal to mess with another's property, but I guarantee you nobody will find out if you take the ladder off the bottom of the stand. They are punks who ran when they knew you saw them, they know its wrong. Don't loosen screws, don't booby trap the thing. Just take the ladder down, or hell, take the whole stand. They got nothing on you, just deny anything. It aint like they're gonna take you to court over a stand. Just be sure to let em know you are there, and you aint going anywhere.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do some of you really think some of these schemes will work? If these guys are regular poachers -law breakers, posted signs and ribbons aren't going to faze them. How do we know they have permission to hunt the property 2 feet over the line? Find out and if they are trespassing there, something can be done. If you take their stand, you can bet there will be retaliation, and it could turn out ugly.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or If ya really want to get to them find out who owns the property and see if you can get permission to hunt it and hang one right beside it. and sit in it everyday during archery season.

but like everyone said if you do something be ready for some retaliation.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Double check the property line for survey markers. Just because there may be a fence there, does not mean thats the property line, the county resurveyed a bunch of land around the farm come to find out where the fence lines are that belong to us, are actually 30-80 feet less than the survey markers. So we actually own more land than the fence lines show. Check for survey markers youll notice them when you see them they stick out liek a sore thumb but sometimes you have to do some looking.

ORIGINAL: dstubb

It's not on our property anymore. Just a couple feet past the property line. I could take it down and put it up a different farm that i hunt. If they come looking for it we could just deny it all together. How could they prove it?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt right in front of him on your property of course. If you hang right in front of his stand his and your hunt will be ruined but the message will be delivered. Also post your land right in front of him also.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

No I wouldn't take the stand. That would be stealing. Find out who they are. Make sure they have permission to hunt the other property. Then have a talk with them.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.