Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do you hunt for mature deer only ? >

do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Banned

Default do you hunt for mature deer only ?

I've got a three part question here ...... do you hunt for mature animals only and if so, why ?

The third part I'll ask a bit later, it involves a thread on another forum that I'm getting grilled on
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Yes, I only hunt mature whitetail bucks, as for the doe's and otheranimalsit is not as critical in our program.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

No... I hunt whatever is legal here in my area...
Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I've got a three part question here ...... do you hunt for mature animals only and if so, why ?
No.

I find it impractical to hunt for bucks, PERIOD, on the properties I've been hunting. I take them when the opportunity arises. I go to the woods about 3-5 times a year targeting bucks. The rest of the time I consider myself an "opportunist".

On the new properties I have for this year.......yes. I will be targeting mature bucks......but I'll take an occasional doe, also (especially in the right situation). It'll be quite the PITA to get an animal out of these areas (2 of them)......so I'd better make the kill worth the drag.

I am NOT choosy about which does I take. I'll kill ANY female deer....on a few of the properties......including does with fawns and fawns.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the most part yes. When it comes to bucks its usually 4.5 and up unless a 3.5 has at least 135" of antler. When it comes to shooting doe's I try to shoot an older looking doe if possible. If she looks a tad on the old side and has no fawn or just one fawn I'll try and take her out instead of taking out the young doe who has a pair of fawns and who is most likely going to put out 2 fawns every year. When it comes to fawns I'll shoot a doe fawn late in the year if it comes down to it, never a button buck though.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 AM

Yes ,that is why I hunt .I like the challange that an old buck gives.

[/align]
Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I typically prefer to shoot a mature buck. Even though we really don't have a management plan 'per se' in place on our hunting property, I still know by scouting and trail camera photos, what bucks I would let walk and which ones would get dropped!

Not to brag, but in 26 years of bowhunting, my dad and I have accumulated quite a collection of 100-130" antlers. So with time, I think we have just begun to target the more mature deer on the property and let the 1.5 or 2.5 year old 8 point walk.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

No.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 AM

no, i have one land owner that has a big problem with the deer, on her land we shoot any thing that does not have spots or doe's that have fawns with spots, here in NC if you don't shoot it someone else will, you can't manage for big deer where i am at, one one farm we have, we dont shoot spikes
Lenny

Quick Reply: do you hunt for mature deer only ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.