Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GMMAT's 2008 Game Cam Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GMMAT's 2008 Game Cam Thread

Jeff - you hunt not far from where I do. If you hunt near your favorite bow shop. One year had 13 bucks on 20 acres, next year had maybe 6 on trail cam, then 2. Couldn't for the life of me figure it out. It wasn't hunting pressure, lack of food, etc. One day walking out, I just happened to glimpse a yote. Started really looking around and found 2 dead bucks, already eaten and chewed up. That year I trapped and caught 6 yotes in 1 week off this property. But I also saw way fewer does. Even if they only took one down every other month, in 2 yrs that is 12 plus all fawns associated with. It doesn't take long and things change quick. But if you are seeing does, who knows. I know I went from seeing 12- 20 a day to seeing 1 or 2 every 3 hunts, in 3 years. Things changed.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i understand where you are coming from GMMAT. I am trying to take quality deer for my area.....even if they are smaller than some....i still love doing it
Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 PM

As I said to you, I congratulate you on doing the best you can to kill the bucks you have in your woods, but I know and you know they are not giants. So what. All Im saying is why would you not want to find an area that has giants where a 3.5-4.5 year old is much bigger than what you have taken? The deer you killed were nice bucks, and maybe the nicest bucks in your woods, that takes effort and know how, I never said you failed, you shot two bucks that would be considered smaller bucks in my area, but if you are not concerned with size, and only wish to hunt for the oldest bucks then i would say keep it up. If they are what you look for in those woods then I see why you are satisfied. But you can and you may find bigger bucks in your new property and I hope you will.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

I know they're bad, here. I can hear them behind the house "most" every night. I always wonder what's got them so worked up.....except this time of year I think I know (fawns).

Yeah....you know where I hunt (basically). Still looking to put your son on one, this fall, if you and he are interested (bow, only).

I asked a question of you the other day.....(different thread)....and I wanted to ask you again. What do you think your "success" rate is at determining the age of 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 yr old bucks for THIS area? I'm curious if you think you're "stumped" often.....and I know you see a lot of animals.

Thanks....and I'm looking forward to hearing from you about your son and a deer.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM

In all honesty Jeff, Im just trying to figure out why there no large bucks in your woods. If they are your county and close why not your block? How many ac do you hunt there?? I know how it is here in Va, if a county holds big bucks, it's usually from end to the other.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

When you look at my county.....and mention "Big Bucks".....let's break that down, a little. Yes.....there ARE 140" (and bigger)deer in my county. Yes......they are harvested, every year. No....there are not many of them. It's not like looking at a Playboy and expecting all the women at the honky-tonk to look like them. They are anomolies.

Yes. I admit.....there are likely more AND larger deer (again.....relative)OFF the properties I hunt. We have a doe problem. Bucks and does don't mix as far as sharing the same habitat (with a LOT of does). It isn't in a buck's best interest to be hanging around with the girls. So.....I'm learning.....they don't (for the most part). I have that working against me, too. But rest assured......when we tell you that a 100" buck is a FINE deer for our area (most of NC).....it's simply true.

Until this season.....I hunted about 100 acres, total. Now....I have access to almost 5 times that amount. I actually have no idea what the largest property holds. Never seen a deer, there (although I grew up a mile from there).
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

There are bucks that Big in my county. I've seen them. Do I have access to them? Nope. Can I get it? No. It's not that important to me, really.....even if I could.

I hunt where I want to, VA.....and have no desire to travel to hunt what I can right here at home......which is "deer". I can always substitute age structure for antlers and challenge myself that way.....which I've done "fairly" successfully. I'm just fine with it.....but I do appreciate your suggestion(s).

EI......no interest in heading to Canada to hunt deer. Just different strokes.
I understand that, it is best notto lie to yourself. I'mthe guy driving the ferrari while you are "content" with your1981 Gremlin. [:-]

I keed I keed. Seriously though, if it is a doe or buck I get excited it isn't just about thehuge rack. Size does matter though.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

As I said to you, I congratulate you on doing the best you can to kill the bucks you have in your woods, but I know and you know they are not giants. So what. All Im saying is why would you not want to find an area that has giants where a 3.5-4.5 year old is much bigger than what you have taken?
Sorry I missed this, VA.[8D]I'll say it again......IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL TO ME.

I could turn this around and ask you.....since you've killed larger racked deer than I (and I assume at least one of those with the bow??)......how many mature bucks you've taken with your bow. If that isn't important, to you, though......(and even if it is)....It's none of my business "why". I don't have to understand.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice pictures
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM

I have never taken a mature buck with my bow. Have I killed bigger bucks with my bow than you, yeh I have, but they were not mature bucks, just bigger than the mature deer you killed. If it's not that big of deal to you then Im fine with that, I just assumed that you would like to kill bigger bucks being that you like to hunt mature bucks. Again, if it's age that challenges you and you go by age more than rack, then who is anyone to tell you that is wrong, Im certainly not. I honestly didn't know that antler size had nothing to do with the way you hunt. So in your woods if a spike is 3.5 -4.5 he's going down?? I don't mean that in a smart ass way Jeff, Im seriously asking you.

Quick Reply: GMMAT's 2008 Game Cam Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.