Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GMMAT's 2008 Game Cam Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GMMAT's 2008 Game Cam Thread

I know Jeff.

That's a pretty good buck in that picture.

What about the other decent one you got pictures of last year, besides "The Bull"? Any idea if he's still around?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

What about the other decent one you got pictures of last year, besides "The Bull"? Any idea if he's still around?
Don't know, yet, Matt. But I'd like to see him. Here's the one you're talking about. I never saw him, from stand.

The previous photo of the buck blowing his coat.....is a 10 pointer (main frame 8 with split brows).

Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Don't know, yet, Matt. But I'd like to see him. Here's the one you're talking about. I never saw him, from stand.

That deer, could be the biggest (inch wise) that you've gotten pictures of. I'd like to see him surface this year (for your sake).
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

He's a bruiser, body-wise, too. He'll be at least 4.5 if he's still around, this fall (I've got several photos of him).

Yeah.....I'd like to see him surface, too.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

Looks like you have a buck for Rob to target if he comes down to hunt with you again!
Wait, didn't that deer have TWO antlers???
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pictures Jeff. Hay, at least he has height!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice pictures Jeff. Hay, at least he has height!

LOL.....yeah....He's got THAT going for him....which is nice.

Honestly....that little 1.5 yr old I shot last year (broken leg) had the most impressive brows of any deer I've seen around here. I don't regret it.....but I'd sure love to have seen him NEXT year.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing no doubt. Hopefully the other one is still around, he should be real nice this year. Always a chance of a good one moving in during the rutt. Its still early.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

So Jeff are you saying that there are two variables working here?? Genetics in your woods are not good and poachers?? Either way I won't condemn a man if he is happy. YOU know I have never said anything negative about shooting smaller bucks. I will shoot them in some places if everything is going south for the season. It's all about the fun. If you are having fun, then who cares. But if you want to hang some giants on the walland I don't have to tell you, you gotta go where they are. You are smart enough to know that a mature deer 4-5 yrs old with theright genes will be a challenge and something worth pursuing. I understand that you hunt for the oldest bucks in your woods, and that is where you get the blood pumping, but what would it hurt to try and find some land within your reach that has those quality deer?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

So Jeff are you saying that there are two variables working here?? Genetics in your woods are not good and poachers??
I won't use the poachers as an "excuse" (I have no reason to make excuses). They're just an annoyance. Their presence is not debateable, though....and they DO have an impact on my hunting.

YOU know I have never said anything negative about shooting smaller bucks.
LOL...VA....I'm not picking on you (really....because this is said a lot)....but when I'm shooting the top end bucks in the areas I have to hunt.....and you (and others)consider them "smaller bucks"......I just have to shake my head.

But if you want to hang some giants on the wall
I want to take one of the best representative deer off the lands I hunt. That's ALL I can hope to do. There is my challenge.

I understand that you hunt for the oldest bucks in your woods, and that is where you get the blood pumping, but what would it hurt to try and find some land within your reach that has those quality deer?
I'm not understanding you. I've taken the best two deer I've ever seen or know of on the land I hunt. I think I've done fairly well atfinding them, although I will say the challenge intensifies as your pool of potential targets shrinks.

If you mean.....why don't I find some larger antlered deer.....then I guess I'm venturing out to try to do that, this fall.....hunting a few new properties. But I'll still take the first 3.5yr (or +)old that comes by......full rack, small rack, 1/2 rack busted off rack.......

Quick Reply: GMMAT's 2008 Game Cam Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.