Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-06-2003, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Short AtoA vs. Longer AtoA bows

I know that I will catch some slack for this one, but, I have noticed the opposite. When I was shooting my Browning Mirage Hunter (38" a.t.a.), I found it un-stable. If I moved a little bit, it would shift the weight of the bow and want to pull towards the way I moved it.

My Mt Sport (34" a.t.a.) was much more stable. It was lighter and shorter, so, when I moved, there was less " leverage" for gravity to pull.

My MightyMite (31 1/4" a.t.a.) is the most stable bow I have owned. When I get to full draw, the bow sits DEAD. It just DOESN' T MOVE!!!! Also, along with that, the bow seems to be more evenly balanced over the entire bow than my other bows. Not just that, but, it will be nice when manuvering in those tight spots when I am chasing that big buck.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bows will be bows, but the trend toward shorter and lighter is OK for hunting. Look at the better shooters, both 3D and target, and see how short their bows are. Kinda speaks for itself.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that, generally speaking, the longer bow would be more stable and/or forgiving for most shooters. That' s how it works out for me. BUT there' s a lot more to stability and forgiveness than just the axle length. I am shooting a 34" bow right now, and it shoots well. I do have to be a bit more careful about form with it, or I miss by more than I do with my old 43" bows. I also don' t see a huge advantage to shorter bows, but some guys do. Many people like the short bows, and like Buck Magnet. shoot them very well. It is fun to experiment with theories like this one. It' s just too bad it can cost so much. LOL
Old 03-06-2003, 09:20 PM

Yes it is Joe. $900.00 for two bows, which were bought within 9 months of each other. I bought my MT Sport last year in July and paid $299.99 plus tax for it. Well, I got my MightyMite on sale two weeks ago, it was only $544.00 with tax, and the bow normally sells for $599.99 plus tax.

I am not sure why the smaller bows seem more stable for me, but, they do. I try to keep my form perfect, and that is big one, but, they just seem to stay where I hold them. I don' t know, it could be something to do with my draw length, maybe a long draw length like mine (30" ), makes a shorter bow more stable????????????

Hmmm, Frank, your next assignment is to buy a bow with a a.t.a. length of 29" the whole way up to 45" in one inch incraments. So, that is 17 bows. Get them, then do a test to see which a.t.a. has a more stable feel, and try to figure out the dynamics of it. It may cost alot, but, just think of all the people you would be helping.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am with Buck Magnet on this one my shorter ATA seem more stable and my groups have improved to boot. I think he is right the need to have good form is paramount with the smaller ATA bow, so I pay particular attention to my form. Also maybe the smaller, lighter feel, makes for less fatigue...that is a guess but I know I can' t shoot a longer ATA worth a hoot anymore...just to use to small and compact I guess.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stability in some of the latest shorter ata' s isn' t just because of the length. Forgiveness comes alot with brace height, and the longer braces are found on alot of the shorter ata bows. Also grip has a large play in it. If your bow has a grip that feels very comfortable to you, and fits you well there' s less chance of bad form at the shot. Grips are very important, and often overlooked. Now if you took that same grip, and brace on a longer ata bow no telling what one could do that shoot the shorter ata' s.
Now on the other side of shooting well that varies alot too. Some can nail tacks at 20yds consistantly with a short ata. But try stepping back to 40-50-60yds, and see if your still capable of driving tacks! Thats where every little aspect of your bows specs, and your capabilities really showup. Thats also why you' ll see mostly longer ata bows in the 3D competitions.
Its really a simple concept of balance with longer ata' s. Picture walking the tight rope if you will. The longer the stick you hold in your hand the better your balance while walking the rope. Use a short stick, and balance is less.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was looking at buying new bows, I didn' t care for the shorter draw lengths like the mathews MQ32. I opted for the longer Q2XL. After working on form and technique, I' ve tried shorter bows like the Q2, Patriot and the SQ2, and out of those three I think the patriot and the SQ2 felt the best.

I think you need to take into account your shooting style, and to everybody it will feel different. I' d like to go with a shorter bow now since it would be easier to haul up and down the mountains.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with the others. More than just axle to axle comes into play when you are talking about a stable bow setup. However if we were to compare two bows which were identical except for the fact that one was 8 inches longer than the other then I think the longer A to A model would be more stable for most people. It is simple physics involving the weight distribution over the distance that the bow occupies in space. It is simply more difficult to cant a bow clockwise or counterclockwise when there is more distance between the axles.

However, I do also agree with Buck Magnet, etc... in saying that some short axle to axle length bows have excellent levels of overall balance which enable them to feel more comfortable and to be shot more accurately than some of the longer axle to axle length models of yesteryear.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:32 AM

The most stable bow I have owned was a Q2XL.I had it with the PRO-Limb cups for extra weight.With everything on it (no quiver), it tipped the scale a 7 pounds.
What a shooter that bow was !!.NO VIBRATION,no jump,skip,runs or drips !!!!Best shooting bow I have ever owned.
So why did I sell it and buy an SQ2, because I' M STUPID for new bows [:@]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.