Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards >

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Same here Jeff, no problem. Heck, the discussions on here recently have inspired me to tinker with my bow these last few days. I am shooting better because of it. Live and learn.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just calling it as i see it on my monitor---but that's right,if i don't agree--i must be wrong because some of you are NEVER wrong.GMMAT---you come across as a self-appointed genius to me.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT---you come across as a self-appointed genius to me.
Well.....if the bar's been set by this thread.....and you disagreed with the PHYSICS (not me)......I'm not sure I'd admit to that.

If 2+2=4 = "Genius".....I suppose I'm guilty.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The arrow closes the gap when up in a tree 15 feet or so because the arrow is not paralel with the line of sight.So when you are shooting a 2 yard shot from a tree,you are still shooting the arrow 15+ feet,giving the arrow time to close the paralax gap.

We as hunters tend to say shoot the distance from the tree and for all intensive hunting purposes,this is correct but in reality,it isn't completely correct,arch of the arrow and sight paralax must be compensated for if you really want to get that technical with it.
This is precisely why many times I've said that the "horizontal" distance thing is more or less worthless. At 14-15yds away, I know I'm going to hit high, whether from a treestand or on flat-ground, I KNOW that my arrow is going to be 2.5-3" above where my pin is on a target, and I compensate for that MOST of the time.

Jeff,
At 2yds, my ballistics chart shows me to be about 1.32" low, stretch that out over 15 feet down, and I think you have WHY that arrow is DEAD on. I've laid my 5 spot on the ground, and shot it from about 2yds, 5yds, 7yds, and 10yds, beyond that, it goes back up on it's side like it was designed to be, but at those distances, my margin of error is still good enough for a KILL 100% of the time!!! As I believe someone else said earlier, this is the HUNTING forum, not target archery. Get a copy of OT2, and plot the shot yourself, and see where it comes out. Technically, I should be shooting the shot for 50yds if I want to be to the .02" in the target, but between anything shot for ranges from 24-81 yds, the margin of error is only 3" at that distance!!!! (I go from 1.32 low to 1.68 high if shooting the shot with a pin set for 81yds, according to my set-up.

Like was said in one of the Primos videos while shooting an ELK at close range when asked "Which pin did you use????"....... His response......"ALL OF THEM!!!!!"

In all honesty, arguing over this is like "SPLITTING HAIRS."............. with arrows!!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff,
At 2yds, my ballistics chart shows me to be about 1.32" low, stretch that out over 15 feet down, and I think you have WHY that arrow is DEAD on. I've laid my 5 spot on the ground, and shot it from about 2yds, 5yds, 7yds, and 10yds, beyond that, it goes back up on it's side like it was designed to be, but at those distances, my margin of error is still good enough for a KILL 100% of the time!!! As I believe someone else said earlier, this is the HUNTING forum, not target archery.
I never gave a 2yd scenario from an elevated perch. I thought we were past that.

If you don't practice a shot .....shooting targets......HOW are you going ot know how to do it in the field?

My arrows hit much lower than 1.32" at 2yds. How do I know this? I tried it on a target. I would dream of trying a sho tin the field I hadn't practiced. So if a deer ever comes by me at 2 yds.....and I'm on the gorund.....I'll know what pin to use.....and where to aim.

That's all I was saying in the thread. If you're happy having a margin for error of (_____) at 2yds.....then this exercise isn't for you.

Shot from 2yds on level ground.....utilizing my 20yd pin.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I get a 2yd level shot. I'll just point the arrow and let'r rip. That'll be one dead animal.

Or like OHbowhntr said use all your pins!![8D]

Still dead animal

Dan
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff,
At 2yds, my ballistics chart shows me to be about 1.32" low, stretch that out over 15 feet down, and I think you have WHY that arrow is DEAD on. I've laid my 5 spot on the ground, and shot it from about 2yds, 5yds, 7yds, and 10yds, beyond that, it goes back up on it's side like it was designed to be, but at those distances, my margin of error is still good enough for a KILL 100% of the time!!! As I believe someone else said earlier, this is the HUNTING forum, not target archery.
I never gave a 2yd scenario from an elevated perch. I thought we were past that.

If you don't practice a shot .....shooting targets......HOW are you going ot know how to do it in the field?

My arrows hit much lower than 1.32" at 2yds. How do I know this? I tried it on a target. I would dream of trying a sho tin the field I hadn't practiced. So if a deer ever comes by me at 2 yds.....and I'm on the gorund.....I'll know what pin to use.....and where to aim.

That's all I was saying in the thread. If you're happy having a margin for error of (_____) at 2yds.....then this exercise isn't for you.

Shot from 2yds on level ground.....utilizing my 20yd pin.

Now you're being laughable. So if you aim for the top of the heart, which is generally my point of reference, and you hiT precisely as you did using your 20yds pin at 2yds, you just blew out the valves between the atria and ventricles, DAMN, I'd be disappointed, that will mean that the deer may travel 1.3 yds farther on average than a deer with it's AORTA cut off!!!!

Again, you're splitting HAIRS, and it's even LESS significant shooting from flat-ground vs. the elevated shot!!!!! Like Dan said, you can use ALL of the pins if you like, it's still going to be a dead deer, unless your aiming for it's ANKLE or something!!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Now you're being laughable. So if you aim for the top of the heart, which is generally my point of reference, and you his precisely as you did using your 20yds pin at 2yds, you just blew out the valves between the atria and ventricles, DAMN, I'd be disappointed, that will mean that the deer may travel 1.3 yds farther on average than a deer with it's AORTA cut off!!!!

Again, you're splitting HAIRS, and it's even LESS significant shooting from flat-ground vs. the elevated shot!!!!! Like Dan said, you can use ALL of the pins if you like, it's still going to be a dead deer, unless your aiming for it's ANKLE or something!!!!!
I never siad you couldn't kill a deer using alternative "methods". If you're arguing that.....you're arguing just to argue....AND you're arguing, alone.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I never siad you couldn't kill a deer using alternative "methods". If you're arguing that.....you're arguing just to argue....AND you're arguing, alone.
Not arguing, just wondering what you're trying to get at. Your results are different from mine, but my peep may be closer to my arrow, draw length different, which makes a difference as well, which would likely explain why we all seem to have a little different results. Try that same shot from 15 feet up, and I bet you get an even closer result. Peak at my sight and see that I have the bar extended, and that adds in yet another varying factor. I think the take home point is that at such a distance, MOST of us could "USE ALL OF THE PINS," and still go home with a deer!!!!

Now going back to the original post, I'll agree, there is SOME form or other issue that has created this result.... because there shouldn't "theoretically" be that much discrepancy between the 2 pins at such a SHORT distance.

2) 2nd shot, I tried my 30 yard pin and aimed for dead center, I hit 3 inches high.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

You think your sight bar is out further than mine?[8D]

Now going back to the original post, I'll agree, there is SOME form or other issue that has created this result.... because there shouldn't "theoretically" be that much discrepancy between the 2 pins at such a SHORT distance.

[blockquote]quote:

2) 2nd shot, I tried my 30 yard pin and aimed for dead center, I hit 3 inches high.
[/blockquote]
Ya think?

Quick Reply: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.