Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far will you take a shot? >

How far will you take a shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far will you take a shot?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How far will you take a shot?

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Anybody who takes a 100 yard shot on a deer with a bow deserves to have their bowhunting privelages revoked IMO.

I don't care if you are literally the world's greatest archer. You're a moron if you do that and you woudn't be welcomed in our camp. It's that simple.
Go check here http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2926013

You will see I am 1 for 1

nice shootin tex
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

My comfortable range is 35 yards and closer! I have never shot at a deer any further than that with a bow. Why? Because I am comfortable that I have a great chance of scoring a lethal hit to the animal at that distance and closer.

If I was in a stand on the edge of a 2000 acre bean field with a monster buck 100 yards away in the field, I wouldn't even think about raising my bow to take a shot!!!! Even if the previous day I had shot at 100 yards and placed 10 out of 10 arrows in a 4 inch group! As many have mentioned before, there are just way too many variables that could lead to an injured "monster buck," and I don't want that to be a result of my attempted ego stroking.

Half of the fun and the challenge to me in bowhunting whitetails, is my ability to pattern a nice deer, place my stand in a perfect location, and take that deer at less than 30-35 yards! If that deer doesn't come any closer than 100 yards...then guess what? He was better than me that day!!!! I'm not about to fling an arrow at 85 to 100 yards, even if I've practiced it. No way!!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

pattern a nice deer, place my stand in a perfect location, and take that deer at less than 30-35 yards! If that deer doesn't come any closer than 100 yards...then guess what? He was better than me th
ORIGINAL: mofireman

My comfortable range is 35 yards and closer! I have never shot at a deer any further than that with a bow. Why? Because I am comfortable that I have a great chance of scoring a lethal hit to the animal at that distance and closer.

If I was in a stand on the edge of a 2000 acre bean field with a monster buck 100 yards away in the field, I wouldn't even think about raising my bow to take a shot!!!! Even if the previous day I had shot at 100 yards and placed 10 out of 10 arrows in a 4 inch group! As many have mentioned before, there are just way too many variables that could lead to an injured "monster buck," and I don't want that to be a result of my attempted ego stroking.

Half of the fun and the challenge to me in bowhunting whitetails, is my ability to pattern a nice deer, place my stand in a perfect location, and take that deer at less than 30-35 yards! If that deer doesn't come any closer than 100 yards...then guess what? He was better than me that day!!!! I'm not about to fling an arrow at 85 to 100 yards, even if I've practiced it. No way!!

i thought thats why everyone loved bowhunting, because of how close you had to be

i have killed all my deer with a gun so far, and you guys are talking about shooting one with your BOW every farther out then i like to shoot with my gun. but hey, whatever floats your boat i guess.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

40 yards is my max.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

Forget that "pie plate" concept. Anyone can hit a pie plate at a reasonable distance. You need to aim at a much smaller "spot" to achieve best results in accuracy. Aim small, miss small. It makes you "focus" better!Oh yea, I won't shoot past 30yrds.
i agree with early in , i practice on spots and believe in aim small miss small . I'm very confident out too 40-50yds , but will only take shot too 30yds when i hunt . i can always come back and don't have possible wounded animal on my mind .
Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM

I agree with the majority here. I don't even practice with my compound past 50 yrds, and really not sure if I would chance a shot that far. Maybe hunting a clear cut, or cut corn field, but not in the woods.I'm real comfortable at 40 yrds., and Iknow ethics play a huge part in my comfort zone. I've been very fortunate to have never had to take a shot past 25 yrds. though, andI like doing my homework (scouting), and knowing where they are, and hunting the thick stuff really tends to keep your shots close in too. ...... Good Hunting
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people on this forum wont shoot past 30 yards. So what happens if P&Y buck comes within 35 yards...What happens then? Or what if a deer came by your stand at 31 yards...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 PM

I personally feel like 40 yards is my max under ideal conditions ! But i will not harp on the ones that shoot further it's there decision ! There are alot of people that even at 20 yards make bad shots ! Lot's of things come into play even at that distance angle ,limbs, alertness of the deer etc ! I remember the first year i bowhunted i practiced out to 50 yards religiously . I was sure i would have to make a long shot i ended up shooting my first deer under me next to the base of my tree !
Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people on this forum wont shoot past 30 yards. So what happens if P&Y buck comes within 35 yards... What happens then? Or what if a deer came by your stand at 31 yards...
I'll watch it walk. I've let at least 8 P&Y bucks go by if not more at that 25 to 30 yard range with my recurve. I know my limits, size don't matter in this case! My limit is in that 20 yard range no matter how good I'm shooting.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Something to think about....

If you got your hunting clothes on and climbed a treestand and put a 3d deer target at 50 yards using your hunting broadheads, could you put 50 out of50 arrowsin the vitals with NO misses?

If the answer is no, then that's too far for you.

If you can put 99 out of 100 in the vitals, but the FIRST one misses, than 50 yards is STILL too far for you.
Those are somestringent guidelines.
Yep!! I guess no one ever wounds a Deer at 20 yards!

Dan

Quick Reply: How far will you take a shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.