Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what do you think >

what do you think

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you think

Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you think

Just remember one thing when listening to people on this site... They don't have to prove anything they say. If that was a below average, but by no means terrible, group at 40 then that is just fine for deer hunting. Everyone thinks pin hole dot drilling is essential and in reality it just isn't. If you are inside the 8 ring every time, then you are killing animals every time. I am not saying that we all shouldn't practice to be the best we can, but there is no need to shoot a dime at 40 yards.

Caveat is I am not a "target archer". I am simply a consistently successful bowhunter.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I tell you something that will help anyone tighten their group, Instead of shooting at that big black paint circle go to walmart and buy some little round smiley face stickers (the bright ones) the size roughly of a dime. Aim small miss small!!!! Your doing good but as said, before keep practicing....Try the little stickers and see if you dont tighten your groups within a week or even a couple of shooting sessions....

Good tip. ill have to try that some day.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

While I agree with you in principle, huntingson.....the reason I wrote what "I" did was due to real-life experiences. I actually got pretty accurate shooting in the back yard. My advice to become EXTREMELY accurate stems from what I've witnessed in myself from time afield.

A live target....in a hunting environment....and your "misses" are magnified.

We don't need to live up to the nock-busting crowd.....but striving for that will make our misses less of an issue when the target's breathing and the blood is pumping.

A deer's vitals are about the size of a basketball. Send one through them (an area that size)and you're likely to be posing for harvest photos in record time. Conceded.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

i just went out and shot this with a 25 mph cross wind. i am woundering a little bit also. i myself feel pretty confendent about my shots at those yards. i will be working on tighting that group,. thanks everyone for there tips and input am taking it all in. good luck all with feeding the freezer. lol