Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what do you think >

what do you think

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you think

Old 07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you think

Try shooting the 20 and ease back to where your splitting the pins and then keep working back and see if you can build consistancy.I shoot better when I'm at a distance where I have to split them...the pins bother my focus on impact point...ignore the pins and concentrate on where the arrow will hit!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Always Strive to be better!

Dan
Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I tell you something that will help anyone tighten their group, Instead of shooting at that big black paint circle go to walmart and buy some little round smiley face stickers (the bright ones) the size roughly of a dime. Aim small miss small!!!! Your doing good but as said, before keep practicing....Try the little stickers and see if you dont tighten your groups within a week or even a couple of shooting sessions....
thanks i took your advice with the sticker. i also had to adjust my arrow rest. sence i did that what a tighter group.14 years away from bow hunting itsall coming back now. just wanted to say thanks------------jeff
Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

You might want to have more targets as well,if you intend on practicing you will start wrecking arrows.
I myself can`t shoot more than one arrow at a given target at these distances,or the folks down at blazer vanes would be getting rich off me.
Robin hood makes for a good picture but these arrows aren`t cheep.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

You might want to have more targets as well,if you intend on practicing you will start wrecking arrows.
I myself can`t shoot more than one arrow at a given target at these distances,or the folks down at blazer vanes would be getting rich off me.
Robin hood makes for a good picture but these arrows aren`t cheep.
I have always thought this too, but then everyone always talks about shooting groups, and how tight they can get their groups. But to answer the question, I would be ok with the 20 yard group, but not the 40 yard group.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd be asking myself, what did I do wrong to drop that arrow at 20. AND, I do that sometimes. If I go out and shoot a half dozen groups, I'd want them all to be on at 20. Not having shot since 1993 I'd say you're still working on muscles and mechanics. Depending on your bow, a little too much hand or torque or dropping your arm or canting the bow can cause these fliers. The 40 yard group tells me you best not be shooting at deer at 40 yards. Your occasional flier could also be a bad arrow. Mark them and see if it's the same arrow all the time. See the spot and don't fight the pins. Work on a smooth release. Don't be punching that release, get the finger tip off the releasee. Relax. Bowhand is the tough thing for lots of folks to get down. I'd also be investigating why my 20 yard group seems to be leaning toward the left side of the bullseye and my 40 is left.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

them pics are not after adjusting arrow rest, batteries dead in camera but yes i did notice it in my arms and shoulders. now that were over that little bump its on. good luck to you all this season and thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I tell you something that will help anyone tighten their group, Instead of shooting at that big black paint circle go to walmart and buy some little round smiley face stickers (the bright ones) the size roughly of a dime. Aim small miss small!!!! Your doing good but as said, before keep practicing....Try the little stickers and see if you dont tighten your groups within a week or even a couple of shooting sessions....
Sound advice, here (and elsewhere). David also gives you good thoughts.

At 20yds you could aim for a particular HOLE. also....your 40yd practice should shrink your 20yd groups. I'd spend 75% of my practice time at 2-3X the distance I felt was my "effective range".

What I found out the hard way is......we need to be EXTREMELY precise in our non-hunting practice. When you introduce a live target to the equation......things change (and I'm not trying to be condescending....as I'm sure you're aware of this). I feel like I'm a fairly proficient bow shot......but I've had issues in the field, simply due to nerves and the fact that the target can move.

I think it's great you're getting advice. Shows you care. Good luck to you as you progress. That black circle is actually what I'd be striving for from 40yds (all arrows inside it) with my backyard practice.

Again....good luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM

If your shooting a shotgun maybe
Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the 40 yard group doesn't come over, that is to say if the group being left isn't being caused by something you are doing then you have a tuning issue and you need to do some "walk back tuning" and your arrow rest is probably going to need to be moved to the right a litte bit (1/32"-1/16") for starters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.