Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does being a great 3-d shooter make you?? >

Does being a great 3-d shooter make you??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does being a great 3-d shooter make you??

Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does being a great 3-d shooter make you??

Does it make you a better shot to shoot a lot of 3D yes it helps in judging the range some and being able to hit a deer sized animal (on the range) but no it doesnt make you a better hunter in fact I know some very good 3D shooters who do not even hunt. My ex soninlaw was a great 3Dshooter never missed the kill zone always beat me in 3D but when it came to a real animal he always panics always. Yes he has taken a few deer but has missed way more then he has taken and most shots of his being under 20yds.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: RuttNutt

If you got it ,you got it!!! 3-d shoots and spots can only make a person a better shot while hunting.. not a good hunter.... Pick a spot, whack!!!!
But picking a spot on foam is different than on a live deer!
No doubt it different........
Ok, how about I say "should" make you a better shot while hunting....
Old 07-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not limited to 3D shooting. There are a lot of good archers out there whether it's 3D, tournament or just backyard bowyers. Hitting a stationary foam target is a challenge. But through repetitiveness it becomes easier and easier. On the other hand when you toss in the hunting aspects it all changes. A world class archer won't be successfull hunting if he can't find deer or get within his/her own comfort range for a shot. And even if a shot is presented the individual still has to overcome the unpredictability of the animal as well as his/her own emotions.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I didn't bother to read any of the other replies. It won't make you a better hunter, but it will make you better at judging distances, shooting under pressure and all that. It'll make you a MUCH better shooter than if you sat at home watching the tube. SInce most of us hunt from trees, the range estimation is different from above. It's no where near the same but practice is practice.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can be the best shot in the world, but if you can't put yourself on deer it doesn't really matter! Woodsmanship counts! Like someone else said practice is practice and ya gotta have it!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The more knowledge and confidence you have with your weapon the greater the liklihood of success.Excellent 3D or Spot archers are most often excellent hunters if they choose to be.The mind set of someone who excels in one area most often carries over to their other interests.I know there are some excellent tournament archers that suck at hunting but I would wager that is more the exception than the rule.I think a lot of guys (I am not saying any one here) will perpetuate that kind of thinking to make themselves feel better.
If I had to choose between the two skill sets (I have)I would choose to be a better hunter.One of my closest friends is the best tournament archer in our zip code and also an exceptional hunter.One area where his confidence has gotten him in to trouble is thinking he can make exceptionally difficult shots on game.Like the strong armed quarter back who thinks they can complete every pass.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking from experience I won't say that being good at 3D makes you a better hunter, but it will definitely increase your confidence and shooting skills. Kinda like another poster said, when that deer walks out at 40 yards, it's a chip shot. Whereas I have taken deer at 45 yards in the past, I am not confident taking a shot much past 25 yards any more. And I haven't shot 3D in about 10 years.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being a great shot is not going to make you a great hunter, however you can be the most deer savvy person in the woods and its not going to help you much if you are a poor shot. Dont need to be no national champ, just proficient, but never understood the assumption of it being more of a hinder than a help either.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I think we're all 3D shooters in a way. I don't shoot 3D tournaments, but I sure shoot my share of foam in the yard. Standing, sitting, from the ground and from a tree. Anything that makes you a better shot, will make you a better hunter.