Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How often do you hunt? >

How often do you hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often do you hunt?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How often do you hunt?

During deer and turkey seasons I like to hunt at least 1 night after work and 1 day of the weekend. (every day if I could)The wife says its too much. I need to hear everyone elses times so I can argue my case with her. Do you go every weekend,night, every other night and so on?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How often do you hunt?

Our season is roughly 3 months long. I count each sit as a "hunt"......so morning and afternoon (sameday)would be 2 "hunts". 3 months = +/- 13 weeks.....and that makes 78 huntable days (can't hunt on Sundays in NC). If you count morning and afternoon as 2 potential hunting times......that makes for 156 potential "hunts".

In '06 I hunted 46 times. In '07 I hunted 48 times. (Deer hunting only, for this exercise)

I also stayed out of the woods for 11 straight days after arrowing my '07 buck......so I likely missed the best hunting I "might" have seen all year. Didn't matter.....I was tagged out on bucks, anyway.

Sounds like you might wanna re-negotiate

Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on my work situation. I've pretty much given up everything except Archery Deer Season but that is my choice. Spring time I just have too many activities going on with the kids and wife.

I really don't start until about the third week of October and will hunt almost every day until the end of the season (2nd week of November In Pa). Most of my time is early morning hunts but I get the occasional mid day and evening as well.

A lot of it depends on factors like the weather, my work schedule and what else we have going on , like my Wife's Bday November 7th.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live where I hunt so I will be out there every day weather permitting. Our season is from October 1st to December 5th. It closes down for shotgun season and then opens again from December 22nd to January 10th. We don't have the no hunting on Sunday rule so we have 85 days possible for bow hunting. I normally don't come out of the stand on days I don't work (which is all the time now) so each day would count as one hunt. Last year we had some real crappy weather hit on December 10th and go through the end of the season. Last yearI was still working but hunted for a couple of hours every evening and all day on weekends. I probably hunted 60 days last year.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am fortunate enough to spend a TON of time in the woods. I would guess by looking at my past hunting journal that i hunt an average of 7 times a week or once a day. I usually hunt both sits (morning and evening) on saturaday and sunday depending on the conditions
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My work schedule affords me a lot of time in the woods...I work for one month straight and then get one mon th off....I do most of my hunting during the week except for the holidays as my wife and daughters are out of school and we will take this opportunity to hunt as a family. Unlike Jeff,I wont count 2 sits in 1 day for this exercise, I will count one day as a full day...This year yields a full 20 days in the fieldor more,I will have all of October (during the week days) to hunt....I will start back to hunting the day after Thanksgiving until the December the 15th to hunt...For both of these months I know I will have at least two full weeks (Mon-Fri) each month plus the time that I will have the family at camp with me...I will easily have 20 days in the field, howeverI will have to work through the best time of year to hunt....Next yearI will have the prime rut off and it just keeps rotating each year after that....You definately need to talk her into more time in the woods but if not make the most out of the time you get!!!!! Could you try to involve her some???? Mine never liked going until my oldest daughter started wanting to go about three years ago....Now they all like going, last year my 7 year old daughter got her first deer(with a rifle) and nowthe wifeis telling meme she wanted to get her first deer this year!!!!! It took 15 years to get to this point but we are there and I really enjoy having them in camp with me....
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

pretty much every weekend during deer season, as long as baseball doesnt get in the way. and turkey hunting maybe one weekend i can get out, baseball really gets in the way of that.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

On average i would say i hunt 4-5 "sits" a week. Some weeks its more and some weeks its alot less, but average i would think it would be somewhere aroun 4 times a week.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Season starts Oct 4th here in PA and runs 6 weeks, I'll hunt everyday except Sundays (not legal) unless there is something unforeseen or I tag out.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Until the time changes in November I will most likely go everday after work. My lease is kind of on the way home from work. My other half knows that once deer season comes in, she won't see near as much of me. That's why we take the family trip, relatives come in town, and do a lot of things with local friends from the end of turkey season until bow season. I don't complain at all about her wanting family to come intown during the summer and she knows I won't be making any trips during deer season. If we do have company during deer season, its a for-gone conclusion that they won't be seeing much of me. It's a pretty good trade off.

So I'd say I usually hunt 5-8 times a week depending on the weather.

Quick Reply: How often do you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.