Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control- What I do >

Scent Control- What I do

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control- What I do

Old 07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scent Control- What I do

thats impressive...

im getting there....pretty close except the whole "personal" washer concept....but it makes PERFECT sense....what i do is run sport wash through the washer a couple times before my hunting clothes go in...a couple towels, some socks and boxers, some sweats that i wear from the house to the woods etc...plus before that load i will just kinda waste a little sport wash and water rinsing out the washer...

i dry everything inside out(if i cant line dry) heard that drying inside out keepsUV rays or something from the dryer on the inside?? if i line dry there cant be anyone cutting grass, smoking, etc in the neighborhood...

spray everything with DDW as it goes into the plastic bin...i know the plastic bin isnt scent tight...but i keep it in my truck...boots and back pack etc all in the bin...my truck is smoke free etc etc...not much goes on in it except getting me to the woods...seems to work till i get around to a better container...

gear up, spraying down with DDW again...gear, stand, bow, pack...everything..

oh...i do shower in DDW...im not gunna lie...i gotta get my lazy butt outta bed and shower before i go....but i shower RIGHT before bed with DDW and get up and use DDW body foam before getting dressed in the morning....afternoon hunts i will shower with DDW....

last year i started all that and did not know that i was winded at all....

beats the first year...i got winded more times than not lol....

oh ya...thanx to Germ, rain, cold, hot n sunny....i got scent lok....gotta get some gloves and a face mask this year....and new rubber boots...but so far my system hasnt "failed" as far as i know...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germ, I am even more Anal than that about scent control. I hunt the wind, but I still dilute my scent as much as possible, and by every means possible.

To my knowledge from watching deer within sight (which has been many) I have not been busted from scent the last 2 years.

Dan
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

where i hunt i dont need to go all out like that. although i do own a scent lok suit (fleece) only worn in the colder temps. i do believe in going to those extremes only when/where it's needed. i.e. areas not hunted that much. wheni wash my hunting clothes, i just throw them in my washer(no gloves) with some scentlok soap, then dryer for 25min, then outside on clothes line for about 24hrs. then in my Tinks scentlok bag they go. when i shower, i use scent free soaps, brush my teeth with my everyday brush/paste. suit up in my camo right at the house, then i hop in the car and i'mon my way to the woods. hop out my ride grab my bow/stand/pack and i get walking.this process works like a charm for me.

i am a believer of going the extreme route though.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Some may think this is a big waste of time, but it's what I do.

Washing clothes I use sport wash, I have gound sport wash to be the best. I picked up a tip from someone here, I use my own washer. Only hunting clothes are washed in this washer.

Soap I use the Green soap I have used others, I have confidence in the green soap from HS.

After I shower, I spray down and dry off with one of my hunting towels, washed in my washer.
I than spray down, I like Scent Killer.
Brush my teeth in DDW tooth paste
I than put on sweats for the ride to my location. Sweats washed in my washer
I than get dressed at my location.

X-Scents Base layer Socks, pants, face mask
Scentlok suit(just the layer)

Spray DDW mouth spray in my mouth

I wear a pair of gloves and SL face mask as I walk or ride to my stand.

When I arrive, I change to my hunting gloves that are in my SL pack.
I remove the mask and put some scentfree face paint.

I keep a rag in a plastic bag, I wipe of my hands spray them down again. Put gloves back on.

Now I am ready

Some may think this is stupid, so what[8D]
Sounds good. One thing you might consider since I've read you've been traveling. I put each piece of clothes in it's own zip bag. I can rifle through them anywhere and not contaminate them. Seems to help a lot when I'm in places without showers.

Have you seen that new arm and hammer scentless soap? I grabed a bottle of scent killer clothes soap and the A&H, opened them and sniffed. I couldn't smell a diff and I have before with the others. Big jug 1/3 the cost. I'm giving it a shot.