Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 gps units and topo maps >

gps units and topo maps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gps units and topo maps

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default gps units and topo maps

I want to map all info gathered from my scouting trips on topo maps. I have a garmin 12 gps. I can get the software and link cable for my pc for about $100. Here are my questions:
1. how much memory does my gps have? how many topo maps can I store on that unit?
2. would it be better to get a newer gps instead of sticking the money into updating my current unit?
3. If yes to #2 what unit would you suggest?
4. If I upgrade my garmin 12, where is the best place to buy the software?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gps units and topo maps

I would upgrade my gps. If I were to invest from scratch in a gps unit and topo maps this is what I would get:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=27626&section=10 051&minisite=10020

You will not find better topo maps than topo usa and the pn-20 can work with it seamlessly. I use topo usa but I have a garmin 60csx and they work well together also but the garmin was a gift and if I were buying the stuff myself this package would be the way to go.

Gps info - http://gpsinformation.net/
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Don't know anything about your model Magic, but I have a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx. It has an internal mamory as well as you can put in a SD card like in your trail cam then it can hold as much as the card will allow. Mine will hold 2 gigs? and that is more storage then all the mapping software I have. I paid $300 for mine with mapping software(All US, Alaska and Hawaii) on E-Bay. I think the best part is how you can transfer all your info into Google Earth.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Belushi

Don't know anything about your model Magic, but I have a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx. It has an internal mamory as well as you can put in a SD card like in your trail cam then it can hold as much as the card will allow. Mine will hold 2 gigs? and that is more storage then all the mapping software I have. I paid $300 for mine with mapping software(All US, Alaska and Hawaii) on E-Bay. I think the best part is how you can transfer all your info into Google Earth.
Please explain. Do you mean you can overlay topo over photos? or just transfer points to photos?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get the garmin software, its worth it.

I use USAPhoto Maps to overlay my path, waypoint etc. Its free here: http://jdmcox.com/

Also can use google earth, but USA Photo maps has better topos...
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

I would get the garmin software, its worth it.

I use USAPhoto Maps to overlay my path, waypoint etc. Its free here: http://jdmcox.com/

Also can use google earth, but USA Photo maps has better topos...
I'm confused. Why would I need the garmin software if I use USA Photo Maps?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM

When i go to my lease I can enter waypoints of places to return to or I can run a track log that will show me everyplace I went etc.. When I get home I plug my GPS into my PC, then I open my mapping software. I then select d/l from device, it finds my device and asks what to d/l. These points/ tracks then show up overlayed on the Topo. Then I click on view and hit view in Google Earth it then transports all of those points/tracks into your places and shows them on the Google Earth overlay. I'll see if I can attach a pic.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the info guys
Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

I also use the Garmin 60CsX.This is the best gps I have owned and I have had 5 so far.What the guys said above is only a few of the many many awesome features ofthis thing.Best Fish/hunt times,Moon phases,expandable memory,waterproof and accurate.Check out the link below.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494
I'm confused. Why would I need the garmin software if I use USA Photo Maps?
I thought you wanted to have topos on your GPS too. You cant get them from USAphoto Maps to your GPS. If you only want to pull waypoints & paths off your GPS then USAPhoto maps is the way to go...

Quick Reply: gps units and topo maps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.