Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 treestand question >

treestand question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

treestand question

Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: treestand question

go with a ladder stand
Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a ladder stand, It will be the safest. Or you could go with a hand on. I got the Gorilla King Kong hang on, Saturday at Cabelas for approx. $89.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Oh MY GOD. Spend the money on spelling tutorials. OK, for real. You got to decide what kind you want and what your woods is like. If you got a lot of nice straight trees a climber would be my choice. If not, then a couple hang ons for the price of a climber. Ladder stands are convenient to an extent, but they're heavy and all that. I'd go with a climber first, hang ons and climbing sticks second. Ladders are for old lazy guys. LOL
Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 AM

since this is your first year by urself i would go to walmart. they usually have some nice ladder stands for under a hundred bucks and remember to wear a safty harness every time you go hunting.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to agree with GMMAT on this one. I would stay away from any climber for at least 1-2 years, untill you get some cliombing under your belt. Im also going to recommend a ladder stand, 12-15 feet. Or get yourself a good Fixed Stand. Such as a Gorilla Kong, they are affordable and comfortable. The get a good quality set of sticks or climbing ladder and please always wear your harness, this is the time of the year that we start hearing, I fell because Iwasnt wearing a harness and I just got out of the hospital because I broke my back, leg and orarm. Doc says I wont be able to hunt for the next year. Get a good harness with a climbing aid.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I hate to contradict what a previous poster JUST told you......but if you're new to climbing....I would NOT get an open front climbing stand. Get something with a rail (if you go the climber route).

For sheer safety.....I'd recommend a 12' ladder stand (and for the beginner factor, as well).

Whatever you do.....just stay connected to the tree or a safety line all the time.

You might tell us if you're looking for a fixed stand or a portable climber. The fixed stands are less expensive.....typically bigger (if you choose a ladder type).....but the downfall is they are not portable.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gorilla makes a good fixed stand that won't break the bank.

Use a safety harness regardless of what stand you end up using.

Dan
Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Def go with a ladder. to start out the you can move to hang ons and climbers.have someone help you put it up and in case you didn't get the idea from the others.........
Please wear a safety harness. Most stands will come with one when you buy them. If it doesn't let me know and I will get one out to ya.