Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thermals ..... Do they play a part in your hunt??? >

Thermals ..... Do they play a part in your hunt???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermals ..... Do they play a part in your hunt???

Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thermals ..... Do they play a part in your hunt???

The downward moving exterior is caused by colder air being displaced at the thermal top.
As that air moves down, does it push are scent down?

This is the part I wonder about, being we are sitting for 3+ hours, does are scent come back down?
Being Rob is on the move for Elk I understand, but we have very little wind in the mornings.

Can someone tell me as my scent rises an hour later it's not going to get pushed back down? Again I don't know

Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah Jim......we have a lot of "deer"......but the ones I'm REALLY interested in hunting number fewer than you can count on your index fingers, usually.

Good luck this fall.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think thermals are much more accurate in the mountains then they are in a flatter area of land. Temp change is much geater in the mountains.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have probably done myself a disservice by not shooting any does for years.Now I have some very old does that catch on real quick when I slip up.[]

It nothing for them to stay outta sight and snort at me for an hour,[:@]they seem to have a knack for finding me ,even while I'mdoing my bestto hide from them.

I hate olddoe's .[:'(]
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Lowbarometric pressure could cause your moisture laden scent to actually be pushed to the ground.
This is an excellent point that may have been missed. I pay attention to the barometer as much as I do thermals and the wind. Low or falling barometric pressure may work with the wind in pushing your scent to the ground and spreading it while a high or rising barometric pressure can push your scent above the trees.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

The downward moving exterior is caused by colder air being displaced at the thermal top.

This is the part I wonder about, being we are sitting for 3+ hours, does are scent come back down?
Being Rob is on the move for Elk I understand, but we have very little wind in the mornings.

Can someone tell me as my scent rises an hour later it's not going to get pushed back down? Again I don't know

Thermals effect an animal’s ability to detect human odor. Thermals are determined by the temperature and stability of air. If the air that is lifted is warmer than the surrounding air, it will be less dense and rise. This scenario occurs typically during morning hours. If the air that is lifted is cooler than the surrounding air, it will be more dense, and fall to the earth. This scenario occurs typically during evening hours. In short, air is attracted to the heat source. At night air is drawn to the earth, as the soil is warmer than the darkened sky. During the morning hours air is drawn to the sun, or heat source. Hunt strategies are difficult to implement based solely upon thermals, however when the opportunity presents itself the results can be advantageous.

Bottom line .... your scent will follow the thermals .... does that answer your question?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Remember my "Gospel" thread?

How many times has the "overthinking" by a hunter been the saving grace for a deer?

It truly works both ways, IMO.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Germ

Thermals effect an animal’s ability to detect human odor. Thermals are determined by the temperature and stability of air. If the air that is lifted is warmer than the surrounding air, it will be less dense and rise. This scenario occurs typically during morning hours. If the air that is lifted is cooler than the surrounding air, it will be more dense, and fall to the earth. This scenario occurs typically during evening hours. In short, air is attracted to the heat source. At night air is drawn to the earth, as the soil is warmer than the darkened sky. During the morning hours air is drawn to the sun, or heat source. Hunt strategies are difficult to implement based solely upon thermals, however when the opportunity presents itself the results can be advantageous.

Bottom line .... your scent will follow the thermals .... does that answer your question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcbDra-NOY
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

LMFAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcbDra-NOY

well said.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Germ:

If my scent makes it to the clouds before falling back to earth......GAME ON!

Quick Reply: Thermals ..... Do they play a part in your hunt???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.