HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   About Washington Hunter's thread; Remorse? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/253682-about-washington-hunters-thread-remorse.html)

Windwalker7 07-20-2008 06:20 PM

About Washington Hunter's thread; Remorse?

I haven't been on this forum in quite sometime. I just logged on and found this thread by Washington Hunter.

I have just recently decided to give up hunting for this very reason. I have considered hanging it up for the last couple seasons.I finally decided to this season.

Why?I just can't bring myself to kill anymore. I've been hunting for over 30 years. I hunted to the point that I felt it was an addiction. I was never a trophy hunter. I hunted to fill tags. My goal each year was to fill every deer tag I had.

For 16 of those 30+ years, I hunted my home state of PA and in West Virginia. I averaged about 7 deer a year for those 16 years. When only hunting PA I'd fill every tag I had.

It was an addiction. During the last few years, I'd walk up to my downed deer and swear to myself,I was done hunting. Yet I'd be out again a few days later hunting again.

I love everything about hunting clear up until I'd walk up to the dead deer. Then I'd feel remorse( or whatever you call it) There were times I have been in tears as I stared at the lifeless body whose life I just ended.

It was kinda like what an alcoholic must feel like when they fall off of the wagon.

Things really took a U-turn about 3 years ago when I had a doe coming to my backyard feeder. She was a wild deer that for some reason trusted me. I could almost pet her. This really made me think about quiting.

Lookingin her trusting eyes at 3feet sure made me feel guilty for killing so many of her kind. She even trusted me enough to bring her fawns close to me. She was killed with a car 2 years ago.

It sure felt weird coming home from a day of hunting and walking out to the feeder to trickle out some corn as she and her fawns stood there waiting. I'd be dressed in my hunting cloths and be standing there with my bow or rifle. I had always worried about them making it through hunting season. I'd get a little anxious if they were late arriving

This year one of the fawns have been hanging around. He is a nice buck ( no pics) has 9 points and a spread about as wide as his ears. He still has a few months to grow. He is kinda tame and will let me approach to about 25yds. I doubt he will last through hunting season. I worry.

I have enjoyed this site for several years and felt I got along with most on here. At times you guys felt like my other family.

I am not against hunting. I know it needs to be done.I've spent so many years defending hunting yet today I find it hard to watch some of the hunting shows on TV. Hearing the laughter and seeing the fist pumping after the shot kinda makes me cringe.

All in all, I just think it was time for me to give it up. I just don't have desire to continue. Just wanted to say so long and God Bless!

AF Hunter 07-20-2008 06:32 PM

RE: About Washington Hunter's thread; Remorse?

I hope you find your peace brother.

2 Lunger 07-20-2008 06:36 PM

It sounds like you have lost your desire at this point in your life. Do what makes you happy. Great post and you explained yourself well even though you don't have to explain anything to us. Your picture above explains it all. God Bless!

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-20-2008 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

I hope you find your peace brother.
Same here.

I made a statement in another thread that says to me that I'm not that far from what your saying. If I didn't love bowhunting so very much, everything about it including laying my hands on the animal I choose to take, I could easily be where you are. I'm thankful to our creator that I still have that desire to lay my hands on his creations and enjoy the bounty he bestowes upon me, if I'm worthy and lucky. Each animal I lay my hands on, I thank him first. It's a special bond that we have with the animals we hunt, some people just don't get that.

Like AF says, I hope you find your peace if you haven't already.

rybohunter 07-20-2008 06:42 PM

Well stated. Wish you the best.

AR Bowhunter 07-20-2008 06:43 PM

All the deer an animals around my house are safe year in an year out from me. I feed them corn also. I know your feeling. But, the deer at the farm are totally on another level, they are fair game.

Bullet Hole Bailey 07-20-2008 06:46 PM

I agree...do what you like...otherwise, what the fun in it?

It takes a man to admit what you just did....i admire you for that

Im sure no one is gonna have any hard feelings against you....

Good luck man!

MeanV2 07-20-2008 06:47 PM

I'm not ready to Stop eating yet!:D

I like meat, fish, chicken, pork, beef, venison, etc., etc. I guess some people feel this remorse thing but honestly I don't.

I hunt to Kill and without killing I would quit. God made man ruler over the animals. He didn't want us to worship them.

My eyes are in the front of my head and that makes me a predator by birth.;)

Dan

magicman54494 07-20-2008 06:55 PM

Good luck to you. Have you concidered chasing them with a camera? All the fun of hunting without the kill. Then you could share the pics with us and make us all drool:D

MOTOWNHONKEY 07-20-2008 06:58 PM

Great post Mr. Oneal. I have really enjoyed reading your post over the years and have nothing but respect for your personal decision. Maybe if you ever have the urge again to hunt the "trophy" route might be the way to go for you. Targeting one buck or a goal buck is alot of fun and the amount of deer you pass on lends lots of time to enjoy them in the wild. Best of luck to you friend. Chris

Rory/MO 07-20-2008 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Good luck to you. Have you concidered chasing them with a camera? All the fun of hunting without the kill. Then you could share the pics with us and make us all drool:D
i know a ton of people that do that now! they say they like it more than hunting even, if i were you id give it a try.

goodluck in everything! i wish you the best

fatsbucknut 07-20-2008 07:02 PM

You do what you have to do, to make yourself happy. Good luck.

Schultzy 07-20-2008 10:23 PM

Great post Mr. Oneal. I have really enjoyed reading your post over the years and have nothing but respect for your personal decision. Maybe if you ever have the urge again to hunt the "trophy" route might be the way to go for you. Targeting one buck or a goal buck is allot of fun and the amount of deer you pass on lends lots of time to enjoy them in the wild. Best of luck to you friend. Chris
Great post Motown! I don't know you personally but by going off of what Motown says your a guy that deserves all the respect in the world. That was a great bunch of words you layed out there WindWalker!! Thats enough right there for me to give you the utmost respect, not many people on here would have the "berries" to right up what you did. I wish you the best in whatever you decide is right for you!!

Good luck and take care.:)

TJF 07-20-2008 10:54 PM

You've got to do what is right for you. Good luck with life.

Tim

tsoc 07-21-2008 05:10 AM

From prior post's I understood the conflict you were having.I respect your being true to your self!

GMMAT 07-21-2008 06:27 AM

I surely respect your decision, WW......and I wish you the best. I understand how one could feel that way, also.

And this....

yet today I find it hard to watch some of the hunting shows on TV. Hearing the laughter and seeing the fist pumping after the shot kinda makes me cringe.

This is a sign of low-class that I totally agree with you on. Flame away.......it's low-class IMO.

Take care, pal.

peakrut 07-21-2008 06:30 AM

Good Luck pal total respect on my end.

PABuckbuster12 07-21-2008 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I'm not ready to Stop eating yet!:D

I like meat, fish, chicken, pork, beef, venison, etc., etc. I guess some people feel this remorse thing but honestly I don't.

I hunt to Kill and without killing I would quit. God made man ruler over the animals. He didn't want us to worship them.

My eyes are in the front of my head and that makes me a predator by birth.;)

Dan
Good luck to you. I know a fella who is in the same boat as you, feeds his deer and and can literally pet them. Hold your head up high, there is nothing wrong with your choice and change of heart.

In regards to your post MeanV, if god didnt want us to worship some animals, none of us would! If you are a believer in God as you say you are, then I am sure you would understand his complete versatility in how he made people. I am a hunter like you, I believe in hunting as you. But I do not believe God made all people hunters and he meant for no one to worship animals. I worship my dogs, they are my life. They worship me, we have a bond that goes way beyond any friendship with another human. And maybe just maybe God chose it for this man to now have a bond with deer. It is apparent he did.

Please post some pictures periodically. I enjoy seeing pictures like that.

HuntingBry 07-21-2008 09:10 AM

Windwalker, I read your post when you first put it up and didn't reply because I honestly didn't know how to reply. I couldn't imagine being in your shoes where that fire for the hunt isn't burning anymore. No offense to you, but I hope I am never in your shoes either.

The situation being what it is though, I completely respect your decision. The whole point of hunting is the love of the outdoors and enjoying the hunt. That is something that you can no longer do, so the soul of the hunt is lost.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your future interactions with animals in whatever way you choose. Magicman had a great idea to chase them with a camera. Best wishes to you, and you'll always have a place in our brotherhood.

MeanV2 07-21-2008 09:17 AM

Worship is a strong word. I say again God did not intend us to worship any animal![8D]

I haveLoved Dogs, and Horses, but I never loose sight that they are an animal.

Maybe being raised on a farm, slaughtering animals for food, etc., etc. makes me feel the way I do, but Man was born a Predator.

Just because some choose not to be does not change that fact. I have no problem with anyones decision to hunt or hug animals.

Mine is to Hunt them down and Kill them!

Dan

TEmbry 07-21-2008 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

yet today I find it hard to watch some of the hunting shows on TV. Hearing the laughter and seeing the fist pumping after the shot kinda makes me cringe.

This is a sign of low-class that I totally agree with you on. Flame away.......it's low-class IMO.

Take care, pal.
I'll bite, that's a joke. Who are you to judge others for celebrating their kill? Some people just get plum excited over hunting. They don't kill 10+ deer a year, so when they do it something to get worked up over. How can one understand being emotional about killing animals, yet call someone who fist pumps after the kill low class? Killingan animal with stick and string is a great accomplishment and I'll be damned if it is low class to celebrate afterwards.

rybohunter 07-21-2008 09:50 AM

^^^ I smell a celebration thread brewing.

My opinion, there is celebrating because one is truly happy, and there is the moronic stuff that happens on MANY videos. Not all.

GMMAT 07-21-2008 09:54 AM

My opinion, there is celebrating because one is truly happy, and there is the moronic stuff that happens on MANY videos. Not all.
Exactly.;)

If you wanna start a moronic celebration thread, Tembry.....have at it. This isn't the place for it.

wvubowhunter 07-21-2008 10:26 AM

WW
complete repsect, hope you can go get them with a camera and post the pics.

silentassassin 07-21-2008 10:41 AM

First let me say that I understand and alos hope that you find your peace.

Second, God did not intend for humans to worship ANYTHING but God. The bible states very clearly that man has dominion over the animals and God himself commads Peter to kill:
Acts 10 12-13 12Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 13And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Genesis 27 3-4
3Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; 4And make me savory meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.

I also don't see anything wrond with celebrating the culmination of all of your hard worth paying off against such a worthy opponent when you make a well placed shot. JMO

Vabowman 07-21-2008 10:54 AM

I think you will find peace either way you go. Hunting is peaceful and so is taking pics. I feel that you will be back in the woods this fall in some capacity. I respect your position and who knows, you may come full circle again and pick up that stick and string. You won't be the first to do it.

robbcayman 07-21-2008 10:58 AM

Itseems to me your view point is a little skewed. Firstly, you are talking about shooting an almost domesticated deer as opposed to a truly wild deer. I too would probably have a hard time shooting an animal I had sort of bonded with. If I named a cow and then made him a hamburger it probably would be much harder to do.

The truth is the Lord made animals to provide nutritional value to our bodies, and I am going to partake.:)

Can I ask if you are vegetarian? Because, if youwon't kill them, but eatanimals that is a little strange to me. Hey, this is a free country, so do what makes you feel good and I will do the same. In parting, imagine if a caveman had thought the way you do?? Hmmm. I guesshe would have been confined to berries and leaves. [:'(];)

Either way, I hope you find a peace about it. :)

oneshotlightsout 07-21-2008 11:54 AM

this is my first year back sence 1993, the year my dad passed away, and the year i ran a fawn over while hunting. it broke its back i cryed like a baby my friend had to put it out of its mesery, i just coulnd do it. i feel i have went trew my remours stage. good luck 2 u on what road u go down who nowsmaybe u will bback hunting some year.

Windwalker7 07-21-2008 03:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Ten years ago, if someone told me I'd be giving up hunting, I'd of said they were crazy. I lived and breathed hunting.

I think my problem was greed. I was killing deer just to keep my reputation for friends and family. They always talked and bragged about me being the deer slayer. Anytime the conversation turned to deer hunting(which was often) I'd hear the comments. I liked it. I didn't want to lose my reputation so I kept killing.

Today I regret it! It wasn't right of me. Yeah, my family and me ate lots of venison and I would give lots away. But it was senseless for me to shoot all those deer for some selfish pride.

Even back then, I'd feel a little remorse once in a while, but was always able to shug it off. As years went by it got harder and harder to do.

I always felt pressure when I was hunting. I had to fill my tags.I had to get a deer. What would everyone think if I didn't get my tags filled? I liked hunting but that pressure kept me from enjoying the total experience of it all.

In time, it all caught up to me. I slowly started to realize, it was wrong. About this time, I had this doe coming to my backyard. In the back of my mind, I knew my hunting days were numbered.

I still love the taste of deer jerky and all that stuff. Guess I'll have to pick up a few road kills:D

Maybe this fall, I'll get the bug and grab a camera. but anyway guys, thanks again. I'm sure I'll stop by from time to time to see whats going on in here.

One more pic

bawanajim 07-21-2008 03:31 PM

Ican't say that I agree with you butI do understand your reasons, I feel far to many miss what hunting is really about.

For so many that post here sheer number of kills is all that matters.I find the nanny whacking threads in as poor a taste as any thing I have ever read. A doe is a very fine animal and deserves more respect than they are given.

Way To many kill just to kill,the kill is why its called hunting,but hunting isfar more thanjust the killing.

My hunting has changed as I have matured, I kill one or sometimes two bucks per year,one from PA & one from NY. I have no reason to kill any morebut feel no guilt in taking the ones that I do,we eat well.

I wish you the best,a camera can extend your time in the woods with no seasons or bag limits.
Be sure and post some ofyour better ones.:)

Vabowman 07-21-2008 04:28 PM

why don't you just re-evaluate how you hunt? Kill only what you need to eat and what you see fit and screw the reputation, who do you need to impress? I hate to see you leave hunting b/c of regret on how you used to do it. Change your perspectives, if you feel like shooting one, then shoot it, if you don't then don't. Ask yourself, do I love hunting? Do I love taking the life of an animal? Remember these two questions are important b/c that's what drives most of us. We all love the woods and outdoors, that's a giving, but we have to actually like hunting down these animals and killing them. there is no other way of putting at this time. You either want to do it or you don't. Either way it's your decision and you will always be welcome back to this brotherhood.

Washington Hunter 07-21-2008 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I surely respect your decision, WW......and I wish you the best. I understand how one could feel that way, also.

And this....

Take care, pal.
You gonna tell Hunsucker he's low class for fist pumping when he shot his bird on HB Episode 3? S'good for the goose, and all that right?

WW - Best of luck to you bud. Took a lot to let us all know how you're feeling. Hope you find something to take hunting's place in your life.

GR8atta2d 07-21-2008 07:48 PM

I toe that line myself Windwalker...I love hunting, love being in the outdoors and the adventures that transpire during my time there.

To many people both on this board and in society you have to be a natural born killer to be a great hunter. I consider myself on par with most on the hunting aspect....when it comes time to release the string, I can find more reasons not too..than too. To me it's not a flaw. Good luck in your pursuits what-ever they may be, and hunting or not, you're always welcome here.

bigtim6656 07-21-2008 08:01 PM

godbless good luck nice pic reminds me when i was in ky at mammoth cave feeding them marshmellows 5 feet from me

Schultzy 07-21-2008 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Ican't say that I agree with you butI do understand your reasons, I feel far to many miss what hunting is really about.

For so many that post here sheer number of kills is all that matters.I find the nanny whacking threads in as poor a taste as any thing I have ever read. A doe is a very fine animal and deserves more respect than they are given.

Way To many kill just to kill,the kill is why its called hunting,but hunting isfar more thanjust the killing.

My hunting has changed as I have matured, I kill one or sometimes two bucks per year,one from PA & one from NY. I have no reason to kill any morebut feel no guilt in taking the ones that I do,we eat well.

I wish you the best,a camera can extend your time in the woods with no seasons or bag limits.
Be sure and post some ofyour better ones.:)
Great post Jim!!;)

Diesel77 07-21-2008 08:18 PM

Best of luck to you. I think allot of us have some of the same feelings, thats why its so important to make sure you have taken every step to practice shooting, and make sure you can make the best humane shot as possible before letting that arrow fly.