HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   About Washington Hunter's thread; Remorse? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/253682-about-washington-hunters-thread-remorse.html)

Windwalker7 07-20-2008 06:20 PM

About Washington Hunter's thread; Remorse?

I haven't been on this forum in quite sometime. I just logged on and found this thread by Washington Hunter.

I have just recently decided to give up hunting for this very reason. I have considered hanging it up for the last couple seasons.I finally decided to this season.

Why?I just can't bring myself to kill anymore. I've been hunting for over 30 years. I hunted to the point that I felt it was an addiction. I was never a trophy hunter. I hunted to fill tags. My goal each year was to fill every deer tag I had.

For 16 of those 30+ years, I hunted my home state of PA and in West Virginia. I averaged about 7 deer a year for those 16 years. When only hunting PA I'd fill every tag I had.

It was an addiction. During the last few years, I'd walk up to my downed deer and swear to myself,I was done hunting. Yet I'd be out again a few days later hunting again.

I love everything about hunting clear up until I'd walk up to the dead deer. Then I'd feel remorse( or whatever you call it) There were times I have been in tears as I stared at the lifeless body whose life I just ended.

It was kinda like what an alcoholic must feel like when they fall off of the wagon.

Things really took a U-turn about 3 years ago when I had a doe coming to my backyard feeder. She was a wild deer that for some reason trusted me. I could almost pet her. This really made me think about quiting.

Lookingin her trusting eyes at 3feet sure made me feel guilty for killing so many of her kind. She even trusted me enough to bring her fawns close to me. She was killed with a car 2 years ago.

It sure felt weird coming home from a day of hunting and walking out to the feeder to trickle out some corn as she and her fawns stood there waiting. I'd be dressed in my hunting cloths and be standing there with my bow or rifle. I had always worried about them making it through hunting season. I'd get a little anxious if they were late arriving

This year one of the fawns have been hanging around. He is a nice buck ( no pics) has 9 points and a spread about as wide as his ears. He still has a few months to grow. He is kinda tame and will let me approach to about 25yds. I doubt he will last through hunting season. I worry.

I have enjoyed this site for several years and felt I got along with most on here. At times you guys felt like my other family.

I am not against hunting. I know it needs to be done.I've spent so many years defending hunting yet today I find it hard to watch some of the hunting shows on TV. Hearing the laughter and seeing the fist pumping after the shot kinda makes me cringe.

All in all, I just think it was time for me to give it up. I just don't have desire to continue. Just wanted to say so long and God Bless!

AF Hunter 07-20-2008 06:32 PM

RE: About Washington Hunter's thread; Remorse?

I hope you find your peace brother.

2 Lunger 07-20-2008 06:36 PM

It sounds like you have lost your desire at this point in your life. Do what makes you happy. Great post and you explained yourself well even though you don't have to explain anything to us. Your picture above explains it all. God Bless!

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-20-2008 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

I hope you find your peace brother.
Same here.

I made a statement in another thread that says to me that I'm not that far from what your saying. If I didn't love bowhunting so very much, everything about it including laying my hands on the animal I choose to take, I could easily be where you are. I'm thankful to our creator that I still have that desire to lay my hands on his creations and enjoy the bounty he bestowes upon me, if I'm worthy and lucky. Each animal I lay my hands on, I thank him first. It's a special bond that we have with the animals we hunt, some people just don't get that.

Like AF says, I hope you find your peace if you haven't already.

rybohunter 07-20-2008 06:42 PM

Well stated. Wish you the best.

AR Bowhunter 07-20-2008 06:43 PM

All the deer an animals around my house are safe year in an year out from me. I feed them corn also. I know your feeling. But, the deer at the farm are totally on another level, they are fair game.

Bullet Hole Bailey 07-20-2008 06:46 PM

I agree...do what you like...otherwise, what the fun in it?

It takes a man to admit what you just did....i admire you for that

Im sure no one is gonna have any hard feelings against you....

Good luck man!

MeanV2 07-20-2008 06:47 PM

I'm not ready to Stop eating yet!:D

I like meat, fish, chicken, pork, beef, venison, etc., etc. I guess some people feel this remorse thing but honestly I don't.

I hunt to Kill and without killing I would quit. God made man ruler over the animals. He didn't want us to worship them.

My eyes are in the front of my head and that makes me a predator by birth.;)

Dan

magicman54494 07-20-2008 06:55 PM

Good luck to you. Have you concidered chasing them with a camera? All the fun of hunting without the kill. Then you could share the pics with us and make us all drool:D

MOTOWNHONKEY 07-20-2008 06:58 PM

Great post Mr. Oneal. I have really enjoyed reading your post over the years and have nothing but respect for your personal decision. Maybe if you ever have the urge again to hunt the "trophy" route might be the way to go for you. Targeting one buck or a goal buck is alot of fun and the amount of deer you pass on lends lots of time to enjoy them in the wild. Best of luck to you friend. Chris