Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards? >

Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

I've been watching some of my old hunting videos off and on for the last week after work. I started to notice that a tremendous amount of the bow shots being taken were quartering towards shot, and sometimes at steep angles. What gives?

Am I wrong to think that this practice is not a very good idea or is the quartering towards shot, when practiced time and time again, as effective and lethal as the quartering away shot?

Is the pic below accurate?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

A couple of the newest videos I have show shot after shot after shot at quartering to, sometimes at a pretty hard angle as well. The common denominator in my eyes is just a flat out lack of patience because the animal is in range and they want that kill on video so they are afraid to wait any longer. So they shoot.

A couple of them are REALLY quick to shoot, I mean the deer is on a nice angled beeline to their tree and they bleat and stop the deer and shoot well before the deer has any chance to improve the angle even though the animal is relaxed and unaware of any danger.

I really took notice to that this year on a BUNCH of these videos. I may watch them again and just jump to each kill scene and try to count the number of shots and the angles on each to see how they did. Sort of a score card for good shot selection if you will.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know Marc Drury RIPPED a guy who took that shot in low light. Anyone else see it?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i did see that marc drury thing i have it...it is on dream season 10 i think or else it is on whitetail maddness 10 one of the to but i have never taken a quartering to shot and never will i think it is a horrible angle and you are just setting yourself up for a long, long track job...
[align=left] [/align]
Old 07-20-2008, 12:52 AM

It is a low percentage shot, though not an impossible one. It exposes quite a bit of the facing shoulder and leaves very little of both lungs available, but it is a definite 'do-able' shot at close range.

I'm not one to tell another hunter how to go about his business, so if someone is confident in both their shooting ability and their equipment's capabilities, I have ano qualms with them taking this shot. I doubt I would take the shot personally, but then again I'd have to be in the situation to jump on one side of the fence or the other.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched another video last night, PrimeTime Bucks 9 I think.....I counted real quick and I think around 5 of the 8 bow kills or so were quartering towards shots....and some of them were so steep of an angle that I imagine only one lung was hit...these guys must have tracking dogs in order to take those shots.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

My dad lost a buck a few years ago with a quartering towards shot. The buck was 8 yards away.He hit shoulder blade. No penetration. We looked most of the night and half of the nextday. Never found the buck.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken two quartering to me shots, I recovered both animals but the problem was that the arrow exited so far back that the exit hole would get plugged up and the blood trail was difficult to follow at best. The second time I took this shot and I had a really difficult time following the trail, I vowed to not take the shot anymore. Neither of these two shots were quartering to me hard and both took out lungs but like I said the blood trail was difficult at best. For me, no more quartering to me shots even if they are slightly quartering.....
Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 AM

I myself am just getting tired of the hunting shows, It is no longer about the hunt, the comradre, or the time spent in the great outdoors for most of the new shows, so many now are just about the size of the antlers or thier sponsers. I see so many bad shot angles, rifle shots when an animal is skylined on a hill or ridge ( with no idea what is on the other side of the hill). Adults and kids climbing into treestands with no harness. I realize they are on deadline to get footage, but to me they loose credibility and I don't look to watch them again. I would rather they pass the shot and explain why, then take the risking shot. I watch a show yesterday where a Guy took a 65+ yard shot on an Elk with a good breeze. Granted, he made the shot and if that is his affected range, it was impressive, but to me he never made mention of the risks of this shot to anyone watching and that is irresponsible.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken one quartering towards shot in the 10 bow kills I have made. This doe came running and jumped across the creek I was hunting the last day and last hour of hunting season in 2006. She started sprinting right at me, I picked up my bow, stood up, bleated and she stopped at 12 yards. I let the arrow rip in a rush. She was slightly quartering towards after I mentally reviewed the shot. She ran and died within about 10 seconds at 25 yards. It was a clean quick kill. But the experience reminded me that I should have waited for a better shot. Especially a big tough buck with thick shoulders...I could have morally wounded and not found an animal like that, and to me I don't accept that outcome on bucks or does.

Quick Reply: Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.