Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards? >

Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I take the first shot that I am confident I can make a clean kill. I will take the slight quarter to shot. anything can happen and waiting for that perfect shot could cost any shot at all. I waited for a better shot on a real hog one time and the wind swirled and it was game over. From that day on I take the first good shot presented.
I'm with you here. I hunt in thick cover when a buck presents a shot I take it. I shoot heavy arrows with fixed broad heads and fear little. My stands are high and if I'm shooting through a shoulder blade itsfrom thetop,never had a problem.
When you get bucks in close time is not your friend,you want to get it done as soon as possible.

I too totally agree with both your post. Knowing what shot you can make and what you can’t make is all part of the hunt and a part of the practing we do. I’ve taken the shot before and feel comfortable making it. Also, being able to read the deer’s mood is big factor before I take that shot or any other shot. If a deer is totally relaxed, I’d take the shot over and over. If he’s skittish and nervous, I’d wait for another day.

I feel these hunting show need to be more careful with the footage they show or maybe explain why they did it the way they did it. I see it a lot myself and feel that with every new program out, they keep getting away from be educational point of filming a hunt and more just about getting a trophy on the ground for footage and ratings. Just my two cents on the topic
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM

I like the shot. I have killed many deer with it and will continue to do so in the future. Put it between the shoulder blade and the sternum and watch them fall. I contend that thevitalsdon't changesize as compared to a quartering away shot. How can they?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put it between the shoulder blade and the sternum and watch them fall. I contend that the vitals don't change size as compared to a quartering away shot. How can they?
The percentage of the shot could change.

Reason I don't like it is I've seen people's arrows hit that sternum and glance off of it and skim right along the outside of the ribcage. Do what you want but no way in heck if I was asked what I would do am I going to tell a beginner bow hunter or any bow hunter as far as that goes that this is a shot to easily be had. I'm pretty fussy on my shot placement, I've wounded one animal (hit a bear in the foot) in 22 years of bow hunting so I relate my success to high percentage shots.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM

I have never shot a deer quartering towards me but last year we harvested a nice 8 on film with a quartering towards shot. I am not saying it was the best shot but he was down on camera .
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Stan Pottslucked intoa huge non-typical on video a few years back (PrimeTime Bucks 6)that was a head-on shotand he shot the buckstraight in the neck. He was very luckythe shot ended up being lethal, and then spent 15 minutes with his mount on a pedestal bragging it uplike the poor shot choice never happened.I was then, and still am astounded that he lowered his standards to that degree. He stated in the video that he had "no other choice" as buck was so huge. Does that imply that if the buck would have been average-to-small he wouldn't have risked wounding and possibly not recovering the animal? but since he was huge it was worth the risk? Pathetic logic.
The shots taken on video seem to have become more careless in recent years, all in the quest of the almighty dollar. If you don't stick lots of big bucks, the video will be passed over on the store shelf for one with more and bigger bucks on the cover sleeve. I enjoy watching videos as well as the next guy, but I'm becoming more selective of the videos I view based on the ethics that each company has displayed in the past. Imho, there is simply no need to reward them for their lack of respect for the animals they hunt.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Put it between the shoulder blade and the sternum and watch them fall. I contend that the vitals don't change size as compared to a quartering away shot. How can they?

Reason I don't like it is I've seen people's arrows hit that sternum and glance off of it and skim right along the outside of the ribcage.
OK then...here isa question and more thoughts on it. Hear me out and give me your thoughts.

Yeah sure if you hit the outside edge of the sternum it is a wounding shot. How is that any different than missing your mark left or right on a broadside or quart away shot? I maintain that the target size is not much, if any different size than other positions. If you miss, you wound, no matter the body position, right? If you can't hit an 8" target quartering to, how does it being broadside give more leeway? Broadside miss is guts or shoulder. Quart away miss is guts or skimming the shoulder or worse just under the shoulder.

I won't say I have only lost one animal like you, but my losses is low. I will say I have never shot one quartering to and lost it, and the number killed is well into double digits.

And yes, I am sure there is an 8" opening between the shoulder and sternum on a 45 deg quartering to shot.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

Reason I don't like it is I've seen people's arrows hit that sternum and glance off of it and skim right along the outside of the ribcage.
OK then...here isa question and more thoughts on it. Hear me out and give me your thoughts.

Yeah sure if you hit the outside edge of the sternum it is a wounding shot. How is that any different than missing your mark left or right on a broadside or quart away shot? I maintain that the target size is not much, if any different size than other positions. If you miss, you wound, no matter the body position, right? If you can't hit an 8" target quartering to, how does it being broadside give more leeway? Broadside miss is guts or shoulder. Quart away miss is guts or skimming the shoulder or worse just under the shoulder.

I won't say I have only lost one animal like you, but my losses is low. I will say I have never shot one quartering to and lost it, and the number killed is well into double digits.

And yes, I am sure there is an 8" opening between the shoulder and sternum on a 45 deg quartering to shot.

The guts is a very lethal hit if treated right. I don't aim for just the guts but if I hit them there I'm damn near 100% positive I'll get that deer. In reality you have 2 feet of deer on a broadside shot from the shoulder back to hit if you shoot in back of the lungs accidentally. If you shoot to far forward yes your in trouble. The vitals (lungs, liver, guts) are much bigger then an 8" or so opening on a quartering to shot. Like I said its just the way I hunt, you do what you think and I'll do what I think.

My kills are also in the double digits and kudos to you for having low losses. Your doing something right!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM

The guts is a very lethal hit if treated right. I don't aim for just the guts but if I hit them there I'm damn near 100% positive I'll get that deer. In reality you have 2 feet of deer on a broadside shot from the shoulder back to hit if you shoot in back of the lungs accidentally. If you shoot to far forward yes your in trouble. The vitals (lungs, liver, guts) are much bigger then an 8" or so opening on a quartering to shot. Like I said its just the way I hunt, you do what you think and I'll do what I think.

My kills are also in the double digits and kudos to you for having low losses. Your doing something right!
Most def agree on the gut shot thing. We are actually very close to aggreement on the issues...except that I maintain that a deer's vitals are the same size no matter what angle viewed from. The 8"target I mention is for a strict double lung shot and is probably conservative no matter the angle.

BTW, I meant my quart to kills are in the double digits without a wound loss. No deer and only one hog on film so far though with the quartering to, so I guess I kinda mess up the theory of it being favored due to the need for footage, LOL.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

The vitals (lungs, liver, guts) are much bigger then an 8" or so opening on a quartering to shot.
The big difference,I think, is I don't consider a deer's guts part of his "vitals".
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do to the beating I took I have no comment[:-]

Good luck to all, have confidence in yourself and equipment

Quick Reply: Hunting videos favorite shot the quartering towards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.