Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If he is quartering away??

Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If he is quartering away??

does this help, VA?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends as he walks, you know, one foot in front of the other.
If the furthest shoulder is back when you hit with your arrow, you risk a shoulder shot which could lead to the arrow stopping in the shoulder and not having an exit wound.
So a few variables come to mind and have been mentioned...
Degree of angle, height of your tree stand (assuming your in a tree) and where the shoulders are when you release.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

If the furthest shoulder is back when you hit with your arrow, you risk a shoulder shot which could lead to the arrow stopping in the shoulder and not having an exit wound.
Degree of angle, height of your tree stand (assuming your in a tree) and where the shoulders are when you release.
I agree with this....dont just aim for the opposite shoulder, it may mean you would catch one lung sometimes on sharp quartering shots. Instead, in your mind draw a line between the centers of each shoulder, running right through the chest, and aim for the midpoint of that line. This will be as dead center as you can get.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Va,

I purposely wait for quartering away shots - I feel they leave a bigger margin for error. On quartering away shots I try to aim for the second rib and 99% of the time i get lodged in the off side shoulder area.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot deer at every conceivable angle , I shoot them very close twenty yards is a mile in my mind. Picture a soft ball between their front shoulder blades and put an arrow there, they will not make it out of sight.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Regardless of the deer'sposition I always envision the location of the heart and that's where I try to put the arrow.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

ORIGINAL: AR Bowhunter

If your in the tree an he is QA then aimso the arrow will hopefully exit just behind an low on the opposite shoulder.
X2
x3 here! I've shot probably 80% of my animals quartering away. I've done exactly as listed by AR Bowhunter or at least I tried to anyway.

Good post Big Ed!! Good info in this post to go by.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

ORIGINAL: AR Bowhunter

If your in the tree an he is QA then aimso the arrow will hopefully exit just behind an low on the opposite shoulder.
X2
x3 here! I've shot probably 80% of my animals quartering away. I've done exactly as listed by AR Bowhunter or at least I tried to anyway.

Good post Big Ed!! Good info in this post to go by.
Thanks Milk Man!
Unfortunately I could write a book on what not to do...
However since I almost gave up Archery due to bad choices (sorry to admit-reality) I have been 100% successful the past handful of years.

Someone should have picked me for that damn competition "team" "thingy", cause I'll show them why this year!!!
NH will have a P&Y to put in your fancy books!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

anyone find any how to pics?? lets say he is quartering not too much, but enough to make you stop and think.
If you're not 100% sure of the shot,then you don't shoot
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Milk Man!
Unfortunately I could write a book on what not to do...
However since I almost gave up Archery due to bad choices (sorry to admit-reality) I have been 100% successful the past handful of years.
Experience is the best teacher there bud!! We've all been there done that, some just can't admit it! I'm glad you stuck it out or I might have never met your ass on here.

Someone should have picked me for that damn competition "team" "thingy", cause I'll show them why this year!!!
NH will have a P&Y to put in your fancy books!!!!
It wouldn't surprise me Ed if you did it and yes I should of probably picked you for my team. Make me pay and shoot a buck Ed!!

Quick Reply: If he is quartering away??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.