HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   who here still hunts with outdated bows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/25341-who-here-still-hunts-outdated-bows.html)

kodiakhuntmaster 03-04-2003 09:21 PM

who here still hunts with outdated bows?

I hunt with a 13 year old Darton Mustang. It' s around 60-63#. I killed my first archery deer with that bow. And have gotten several others with it.

A guy I work with shoots a PSE Phazer (I think that' s what it' s called anyway, it was one of the first compounds pse came out with) at #50 pounds.

And my buddy hunts with a 55# Bear Whitetail Hunter 2.

So who else still hunts with older bows? I' ve had other bows but I always come back to my old darton. If it ain' t broke...

JOEBEARHUNTER 03-04-2003 10:00 PM

RE: who here still hunts with outdated bows?

GUILTY AND GLAD. I love DARTON . I' ve killed two nice bears and over A dozen deer oh . and A turkey whith my DARTON RENEGADE . I still shoot an old PSE 2 cam bow that I bought used all of 10 years ago ..It' s black with orange on the limbs and only says PSE on it. Feels like negative let-off and still darn fast. I love my DARTON but I would LOVE to afford A NEW single cam like A mathews.

davidmil 03-04-2003 10:05 PM

If it still shoots it' s not outdated.:D

JOEBEARHUNTER 03-04-2003 10:22 PM

THIS IS TRUE.

gleninAZ 03-04-2003 10:34 PM

I hunted a PSE carrol intruder double cam for 12 years and killed six elk with it. I was pulling 72 pounds and decided to buy a new PSE Carrera one cam last fall. It is amazing how light short and fast the new stuff is. Main good thing for me getting older is the high letoff. After hunting last fall I got the old bow out and couldn' t believe how much harder it was to shoot. Still can kill with it but sure like new bow better. Good hunting.

AK 03-04-2003 11:04 PM

The wooden bows I adore have a timeless soul; never to be outdated nor replaced by annual trends in glossy ads and store displays. :)

Catfish369 03-04-2003 11:55 PM

I shoot an old Bear " Black Panther" bow....round energy wheels, straight limbs, 65# at 30" , with Beman Carbon " Talon" arrows. Not sure of the speed (never chronographed) but it' s still a killer. Bought it new in 1990.

Also shoot an old Ben Pearson " Cougar 70/50" recurve bow. 50# at 28" ...although I shoot 31" ' s with it. It was a gift from my brother and I killed my first deer with it back in 1987.

elksniper 03-05-2003 12:05 AM

Guilty... But heck outdated could be anything older than three years anymore. I still love my pse xlr 900 its gotta be over ten years old. And still have my Bear kodiak recurve.

Deleted User 03-05-2003 02:33 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

lamb1647 03-05-2003 06:14 AM

I hunt with the old longbow. My current model is a Black Thunder that is only a little over a year old. But the technology is old relative to some.

But my bow is quiet, smooth, quick (enough for me), and best of all it is very accurate. It fits my shooting style and I shoot it as accurately as any of the dozen or so compounds I owned.

Bill