HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/253358-bowhunting-gun-hunting-different-perspective.html)

PreacherTony 07-18-2008 08:16 AM

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

I wonder if you guys that hunt with a bow and gun (blackpowder, shotgun, pistol, et al..) if it's different, or the same with just a different weapon.

Let me explain. For me, although I bowhunt with most of the guys I gun hunt with, bowhunting is more of a personal, solitary deal.

Gun hunting, for me,is so steeped in tradition ..... sighting in guns, running to the store for the sales with your buds and/or kin ... the preparation before .... the unknown of what is gonna run by you as it escapes the neighboring property .... drives set-up .... meeting for lunch ..... guys hunting on adjoining properties...

Then there is bowhunting .... preparation is mostly year round ....all day sits....calm deer ....you know what animals you are hunting (for the most part), ....

I think bowhuntingis my favorite, because it is therapeutic .... but I could NEVER give up the tradition of gun hunting ,,,it is just too much fun!!!

Can anyone else relate to this???

GMMAT 07-18-2008 08:19 AM

RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

You mean.....like going to the strip club v. being with your wife?

I'm not following you......;)

wvubowhunter 07-18-2008 08:30 AM

PT
That is pretty much how it is for me. Bowhunting is more personal/relaxing by myself, where rifle hunting is family bred and more of a time spent with others type of hunting.

bawanajim 07-18-2008 08:33 AM

I can Tony, I hunt with every thing thats legal in as many states as I have time for. It starts with early goose season and ends with late grouse season. Bow seasons ,slug gun seasons,rifle seasons and shot gun seasons.
In PA we get one buck tag and I use mine wisely,NY same thing in slug season then our rifle season comes in and I have friends from all over the country come home to hunt,play cards andlie about past hunts,I would not miss it for the world.

I guess not enjoying all of the seasonswould belike going to the strip club tosee your wife.

wallhangr 07-18-2008 08:36 AM

I still keep a little of the solitary mind-set for gun hunting (we don't do drives andI spend more time on stand than most)but there's still the regular group that shows up for opening weekend. I share the woods with most of the guys during archery season, but we rarely ever see each other during that time so I feel like I have the whole place to myself.

As far as the lunch/dinner get togethers I feel the same way. I'd miss that part of hunting if I did nothing but bowhunt - everyone bringing in their deer, making dinner, a bonfire and a few cold beverages at night. ( But no strippers GMMAT):)

mobow 07-18-2008 08:39 AM

Actually, I can't. Gun hunting means nothing to me. There's absolutely NO tradition involved what so ever. I've done an awful lot of hunting and fishing in my life w/ my dad, but NEVER deer hunted. NEVER. I've never had the tradtional deer camp to head to every November. No big family gathering, no pre season sighting in of the guns....none of that. I've pretty much always hunted solo, or at best, with 1 other guy. So bowhunting is just the natural progression for me.

Hunting deer with agun means absolutely NOTHING to me. I've got absolutely nothing against it, but for me.....no thanks. I've done it, I've killed quite a few deer w/ a rifle. It's almost...anti climatic for me. I feel more like a sniper than hunter.

The last time I hunted w/ a rifle was 3 years ago, and only because it was with a rifle my dad had given me. I thought it would be cool to whack one w/ dad's rifle, and it was. Opening morning, 1/2 hour into it, I had 2 does on the ground. I haven't picked that gun up since, except to clean it. There's just no challenge in it for me.

PreacherTony 07-18-2008 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I can Tony, I hunt with every thing thats legal in as many states as I have time for. It starts with early goose season and ends with late grouse season. Bow seasons ,slug gun seasons,rifle seasons and shot gun seasons.
In PA we get one buck tag and I use mine wisely,NY same thing in slug season then our rifle season comes in and I have friends from all over the country come home to hunt,play cards andlie about past hunts,I would not miss it for the world.

Yeah Jim ... you understand for sure! :)

PreacherTony 07-18-2008 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: mobow

Actually, I can't. Gun hunting means nothing to me. There's absolutely NO tradition involved what so ever. I've done an awful lot of hunting and fishing in my life w/ my dad, but NEVER deer hunted. NEVER. I've never had the tradtional deer camp to head to every November. No big family gathering, no pre season sighting in of the guns....none of that. I've pretty much always hunted solo, or at best, with 1 other guy. So bowhunting is just the natural progression for me.

Hunting deer with agun means absolutely NOTHING to me. I've got absolutely nothing against it, but for me.....no thanks. I've done it, I've killed quite a few deer w/ a rifle. It's almost...anti climatic for me. I feel more like a sniper than hunter.

The last time I hunted w/ a rifle was 3 years ago, and only because it was with a rifle my dad had given me. I thought it would be cool to whack one w/ dad's rifle, and it was. Opening morning, 1/2 hour into it, I had 2 does on the ground. I haven't picked that gun up since, except to clean it. There's just no challenge in it for me.
Bro ... you don't know what your missing....... I'm talking about the tradition and commradery (sp?) part .....

bawanajim 07-18-2008 08:53 AM

Mobow I get 2 or 3 doe tags every year,in PA we just one buck tag,most years mine is filled in bow season.[:-]

But there is no more fun than taking kids hunting or helping older guys get their deer gutted and out of the woods. In bow season I'm on a mission I have little time for the trivial things that get in the way of others success,Its all about me.[:-]
Come rifle season I'm in it for the entertainment. I haven't shot a doe in 15-20 years ,I just can't bring myself to do it. I find it Kinda like stomping baby chicks ,just a little bit easier.[:o]
But I have a great time helping my neighbors & their grand kids, they do little harm to much more than my trees but every once in a while they kill one. Just like a fat kid finding an unopened box of Ho-Ho's they are in utopia. And with out question I'm the only one around with a camera,a drag rope Or a sharp knife. :eek:
I wouldn't miss it for the world.:)

GMMAT 07-18-2008 08:54 AM

Tony:

As foreign as it seems to you .......and as much as you think we're "missing out"......I agree with Don, 100%. I've never gun hunted for deer......but I've never tasted dog ****, either. I'm just pretty certain I don't like either.

I can certainly understand your love for it, though. It brings people together that don't normally do so EXCEPT for that time of year (and by design, that way, most likely). That'sHAS to be funAND special.

But again.....Don and I don't feel like we're missing a thing. We're happy for you guys......but it holds no interest, to us (and if Don feels differently than that he can say so). Canmaraderie is also not mutually exclusive to gun hunting. ;)