Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective? >

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Allot of the gun hunters in the area will agree 100% with everything I say in this post. I agree with what most of Rob/PA had said. I cringe also during Minnesota's gun season, actually it drives me nuts knowing everyone and there brother will be going out winging bullets through the air and most have never picked a gun up till opening morning (Not all gun hunters are like this but I'd bet 70% of them are around my area are). So many times I've tucked in behind the stand tree being lead is flying my way and bouncing off trees in many directions, that to me is not fun! I also have to be in the woods during gun season to make sure that no one is trespassing, Its crazy its gotta be that way but its the truth!

Truth be told though we need the gun seasons to control deer populations. I'll stand up for a gun hunters rights till the day I die!!

During the gun season I've actually had great success in seeing some monster bucks. Everyone else is out chasing them around and I'm sitting there taking the benefits in watching some big bucks come running in to my woods and hoping they stay there. I've seen as many as 14 bucks in a full day of sitting during gun season. I've had some close calls on great bucks but they were moving a tad bit fast for my liking.

My cousins are big into gun hunting and the story's and good times they have is unbelievable. I get to hear the story's every year and you know there having a blast. Thats what its all about right there! When I go bear hunting in northern Minnesota we have the same kind of thing up there except its were all shooting sticks and strings (recurves and longbows) instead of a gun. We have the same good times and story telling. Were all camped in the middle of a huge woods cooking our meals over a fire and sleeping in our tents. I love it so I do understand the tradition thats involved with you gun hunters when gun season comes around.

As for me and my family the tradition of hunting was bows and arrows. We've shared many a camps enjoying the same traditions as the gun hunters. Tradition to me is not gun hunting, not even close to be exact. Reasons being though I was raised in a bow hunting family so I never experienced it like allot of you have. I have experienced it with the bow though, some of you would love that also. It works both ways everyone!

Some day I'm sure I'll pick up on older Muzzle Loader (not the quick loaders) and hunt with one of them if I'm not able to pull enough weight back in my recurve to be efficient anymore.

Kudo's to everyone who enjoys there style of hunting. Thats what its all about.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: valor10

Bow is solitary for me. It's "my time" with nature. Gun is family and friends. I can't say I really love one more than the other. Both are special to me, for different reasons.
X2....my feelings exactly.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

all of you guys talking about going back for lunch and hearing all the stories and what not. some of the best times ive found to hunt during rifle seaosn is when every body is going back in to eat or sleep. the deer are running EVERYWHERE. as long as you can get in a good stand, that you will use the other hunters walking out to your advantage, it wont take long and youll see a shooter.
we normally sit all day when we gun hunt for this reason

we can still hear all the stories after dark
Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tradition

Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn straight!

That put goosebumps on my arms.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

BTW he's front right in the picture, and I have that suit he's wearing, if Nov 15 he's still kicking, I will be right next to him, in that very suit Will take some pictures
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Tradition

Hell yeah man, hell yeah.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

God bless your POP! He look's like he's proud of his hunting heritage. Good stuff!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

i enjoy bow blackpowder and gun hunting
Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Love those hunting outfits. Not being a smartazz, i really like those old-fashioned outfits.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.