Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

T.....This....right after I just told you I wasn't missing a thing. It doesn't "bother" me......but you asked "why"?

Jeff ....... trust me ....your missing out
I also think you knew how this "might" turn out.

now there's that elitist mentality that I was waiting for
Also T....I think it's probably gotten MORE tolerant in here over the years. I was told once of a pretty prominent board member who used to post "Get that ****ing gun kill/gun post off the ****ing bowhunting forum" everyt ime he saw a thread involving ANYTHING "gun".

So the tolerance level of such is pretty good in here, I think.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pigiron

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

folks here are more "hardcore" bow hunters than most but the lack of hunting diversity among bow hunters (as a whole) is quite confusing to me and begs the question Why?

I've been wonderingthis myself.

I didn't realize there were so many bowhunters that didn't participate in other methods of hunting until I started reading the forums here a couple of years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but just didn't realize it.
I imagine that's why it's called the "bowhunting" forum.I guess there was public out-cry, so they put the "deer hunting" forum at the top of the forumsjust the other day.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I wonder if you guys that hunt with a bow and gun (blackpowder, shotgun, pistol, et al..) if it's different, or the same with just a different weapon.

Let me explain. For me, although I bowhunt with most of the guys I gun hunt with, bowhunting is more of a personal, solitary deal.

Gun hunting, for me,is so steeped in tradition ..... sighting in guns, running to the store for the sales with your buds and/or kin ... the preparation before .... the unknown of what is gonna run by you as it escapes the neighboring property .... drives set-up .... meeting for lunch ..... guys hunting on adjoining properties...

Then there is bowhunting .... preparation is mostly year round ....all day sits....calm deer ....you know what animals you are hunting (for the most part), ....

I think bowhuntingis my favorite, because it is therapeutic .... but I could NEVER give up the tradition of gun hunting ,,,it is just too much fun!!!

Can anyone else relate to this???

Why are some of you turning this into a bowhunting vs gun hunting deal???

Um Tony.........because you are asking if hunting with a bow is different or the same experienceas hunting with a firearm, thus comparing the two.

I felt it was a great opportunity to try and shed some different light...a new perspective if you will on hunting as a whole and my disdain for anything or anyone who tries to separate us as hunters simply because of the "tool" we choose to utilize. Let me answer your question more directly, better yet let me put it to you this way......

If you askyourquestion to a gun hunter only,you will most likely get a favorable response to most types of hunting and the traditions that go along with them. If you ask this question to a bow hunter only you will most likely get a completely different view of your fellow hunters....Makes you wonder huh?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

I know, I know. I was being sarcastic. Great pic and I can tell ya'll were having fun. Only problem with that is that it's REALLY hard to get up to get in the woods the next day with a pounding headache!!
Lmao, no problem NC!! Very true butno one went out hunting the next day being we knew it was going to be raining all day. We don't hunt in the rain all to often.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ithink you'd get about the same results if you ask a man training his retriever.

Say there,what kinda hound yarunnin ?

Or ask a man that is fly fishing.

Say there, what kinda bait ya using?

Or ask a man eating hot wings at " Hooters"

Say there, ya think those things are real?

Have a great weekend, I'm going to blast some woodchucks with my scope sighted, smoking fast, high powered, 264 Winchester magnum.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

If you askyourquestion to a gun hunter only,you will most likely get a favorable response to most types of hunting and the traditions that go along with them. If you ask this question to a bow hunter only you will most likely get a completely different view of your fellow hunters....Makes you wonder huh?
Works both ways, John.....and your post proves it.

Now I love ya, brother.....but bowhunters get a bad rep with gun hunters, also. We're the "plague" around here.....because we're seen as getting "their" deer before they can legally ge tto them. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a "gun" hunter put down bowhunters for wounding/maiming game.....I'd have enough to buy one of your rookie cards at auction.

Well...you know what I mean.

Have a great weekend.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I wonder if you guys that hunt with a bow and gun (blackpowder, shotgun, pistol, et al..) if it's different, or the same with just a different weapon.

Let me explain. For me, although I bowhunt with most of the guys I gun hunt with, bowhunting is more of a personal, solitary deal.

Gun hunting, for me,is so steeped in tradition ..... sighting in guns, running to the store for the sales with your buds and/or kin ... the preparation before .... the unknown of what is gonna run by you as it escapes the neighboring property .... drives set-up .... meeting for lunch ..... guys hunting on adjoining properties...

Then there is bowhunting .... preparation is mostly year round ....all day sits....calm deer ....you know what animals you are hunting (for the most part), ....

I think bowhuntingis my favorite, because it is therapeutic .... but I could NEVER give up the tradition of gun hunting ,,,it is just too much fun!!!

Can anyone else relate to this???

Why are some of you turning this into a bowhunting vs gun hunting deal???

Um Tony.........because you are asking if hunting with a bow is different or the same experienceas hunting with a firearm, thus comparing the two.
John, I asked if anyone could relate .....
Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe it's just me

I think Preacher is talking about the differnce between the family tradition of gun hunting, and the solitare tradition of a bowhunter. I know before this board I shared my bowhunting with almostnobody
Again who knows, I know I love all you guys, execpt Jeff[8D]

My gun hunting, well I sit with gramps with no weapon at all.
See gramps in his old age does not shoot so well, I don't want anything slowing me down as I run down what he just shot
Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Maybe it's just me

I think Preacher is talking about the differnce between the family tradition of gun hunting, and the solitare tradition of a bowhunter. I know before this board I shared my bowhunting with almostnobody
Again who knows, I know I love all you guys, execpt Jeff[8D]

My gun hunting, well I sit with gramps with no weapon at all.
See gramps in his old age does not shoot so well, I don't want anything slowing me down as I run down what he just shot
Its a real shame you didn't get his hair.[:-]
Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

GMMAT,

One interesting contrast is that on this site you rarely see gun hunters taking shots at bow hunting in general. Most like me are aware of some of the drawbacks (maimed deer) associated with bow hunting, but don't dwell on it because I dont really know that more bow hunters cripple deer than gun hunters. So, i keep my mouth shut. It might be nice to see some folks among the bow hunters extend the same courtesy.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.