Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

I have lived Robs scenario and it ain't pretty. Pa sure seems to have more than our share of butt plugs & rifle season is flag day for them. My father and family always spent the weekend before season scouting, sighting in rifles and visiting with camping neighbors that were doing the same things.
But small towns and bars turn into the Jerry springer show wanna Be's. Hunter orange is the color of choice,it is quite embarrassing to watch.
But I refuse to let the actions of a few ruin to me what is a once a year chance to help those that are not anywhere near as dedicated or passionate as I am about hunting.
If I can track down a poorly shot doe or help carry a teenagers rifle while he drags his first buck out its a great day for me. I've spent hours talking with old men that have no more desire than myself to shoot a doe, but are still out there enjoying Penn's woods and hoping for a chance at a legal buck.
People like Germs gram pa are all the reason I need to be out there.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

And with all due respect, PT.......

Remember where you're at
GMMAT, with all due respect... I thought better of you than to end a sentence with a preposition.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sorry Rob .... the crap and the elitist comment were about the comments .... not you ....sorry if I wasn't clear ... and yes, I look forward to meeting you as much as anyone next weekend ....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Bow hunting and gun hunting......... Here we are again atthose ever elusive questions.....Are they the same? Different? Easier? Harder? Those of you who hunt with both, how do you feel about either? All great and legit questions and one I'll try to answer as honestly as possible.

For me it's "none of the above" meaning I don't even try to compare them because (as stated very eloquently by most here) they are two completely different types of hunting and all that goes with them. A lot of you however are looking at this in a two dimensional sense deer w/bow vs deer w/gun where I look at itmulti dimensionally, meaning bow hunting and gun hunting for deerare not the only game in town when it comes to my hunting time. Like others I enjoy all that "hunting" can provide including big game, small game, upland birds and water fowl. I pursue my quarry with many different types of weapons as I enjoy the diversityin weapon choice each "type" ofhunting brings. While I love this sitemostly due to the folks here, I could live without a bow hunting web site because it's not my main interest when it comes to hunting.

I've spent many prime bow hunting weekends hunting for Coyote, Red Fox,Rabbit, Quail, Pheasantand other critters because I enjoy that just as much. If that means I miss out on that monster buck.....so what, it's not THAT important to me.

Now, I know where I am and I know to what audience I'm typing to...Bow hunters so obviously folks here are more "hardcore" bow hunters than most but the lack of hunting diversity among bow hunters (as a whole) is quite confusing to me and begs the question Why? Now I have my own opinions and as most of you know it doesn't cast a favorable light on bow hunters and their attitude toward other hunters and their methods or choice of weapon. But I can find no other reasons for this "attitude" that oozes from the mouths of bow hunters (in my neck of the woods) when the conversation moves from anything but bow hunting especially when the use of a different weapon is brought up. It's a shame it has to be like this but alas I see it all the time, in person and on web sites like this.

Me?......I'm a hunter plain and simple and ALL that is implied with it. I enjoy it all as much as my business and personal life will allow and refuse to restrict my love for the outdoors and the pursue of wild game by the "tool" I use to do so.

Bow hunting, gun hunting, deer hunting, bird hunting, varmint hunting.......it's all good to me. all challenging, all difficult, all memorable, all unique,because no matter what it's all hunting and that's what I am...........A hunter.

Nail on the head!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I wonder if you guys that hunt with a bow and gun (blackpowder, shotgun, pistol, et al..) if it's different, or the same with just a different weapon.

Let me explain. For me, although I bowhunt with most of the guys I gun hunt with, bowhunting is more of a personal, solitary deal.

Gun hunting, for me,is so steeped in tradition ..... sighting in guns, running to the store for the sales with your buds and/or kin ... the preparation before .... the unknown of what is gonna run by you as it escapes the neighboring property .... drives set-up .... meeting for lunch ..... guys hunting on adjoining properties...

Then there is bowhunting .... preparation is mostly year round ....all day sits....calm deer ....you know what animals you are hunting (for the most part), ....

I think bowhuntingis my favorite, because it is therapeutic .... but I could NEVER give up the tradition of gun hunting ,,,it is just too much fun!!!

Can anyone else relate to this???

Why are some of you turning this into a bowhunting vs gun hunting deal???

Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder if you guys that hunt with a bow and gun (blackpowder, shotgun, pistol, et al..) if it's different, or the same with just a different weapon.

Let me explain. For me, although I bowhunt with most of the guys I gun hunt with, bowhunting is more of a personal, solitary deal.

Gun hunting, for me,is so steeped in tradition ..... sighting in guns, running to the store for the sales with your buds and/or kin ... the preparation before .... the unknown of what is gonna run by you as it escapes the neighboring property .... drives set-up .... meeting for lunch ..... guys hunting on adjoining properties...

Then there is bowhunting .... preparation is mostly year round ....all day sits....calm deer ....you know what animals you are hunting (for the most part), ....

I think bowhuntingis my favorite, because it is therapeutic .... but I could NEVER give up the tradition of gun hunting ,,,it is just too much fun!!!

Honestly, after posting this thread initially, didn't you see this as a possibility?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Probably b/c your posts insinuate their can't be tradition and commraderie (sp) unless you are using a gun and that those of us that are bow only are somehow missing something.....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

folks here are more "hardcore" bow hunters than most but the lack of hunting diversity among bow hunters (as a whole) is quite confusing to me and begs the question Why?

I've been wonderingthis myself.

I didn't realize there were so many bowhunters that didn't participate in other methods of hunting until I started reading the forums here a couple of years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but just didn't realize it.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just amazed that it took so long for things to start going going down the toilet.[]
Old 07-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Probably b/c your posts insinuate their can't be tradition and commraderie (sp) unless you are using a gun and that those of us that are bow only are somehow missing something.....
Funny, I said that bowhunting was my favorite of the two ....... I think some just need to fight

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.