Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Nothing wrong with that Germ one bit!! Great pic!! Thats tradition in every way.

This is tradition in my family. Just a different weapon is all.

All bow kills of our bear in the group picture. We went 10 for 11 that year.

Celebrating after getting a bear with a night of storys at bear camp. It don't get no better then this.

Draging my very 1st bear out. This is tradition to me. There are so many different ways people look at tradition. What my tradition is may not be yours or vice versa.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

What sums it up for me is something an older WY'r said to me when I was out elk hunting in WY. After I took my bull I was in "town" Sheridan. A guy saw our vehicle plates and asked " You guys hunting? " Sure are I said. " What for?" he asked. I replied, "Bull elk". He astonishingly asked, " With a BOW?" , yeah, why I asked.......

I thought, here we go, and he said, " You know I envy you guys". So I asked why. He said, " I'm a rifle hunter, I see an elk and I shoot it, you see an elk and your hunt begins".
now there's that elitist mentality that I was waiting for ...Rob I respect you more than most, but that is a bunch of crap.....

Crap?

How dare you? That is the exact conversation I had with a gentleman in Wyoming, HE summed it up for me. I said almost nothing in that conversation. I'm relaying that to you and you dare call it crap?

Again, I understand the traditions and the camp camarodorie etc.... but when rifle season comes in this great state of PA, I feel sorry for the deer. Yup, sorry. Damn things run around frantic, orange behind every other tree, lead flying everywhere, bam, bam, bam, bam as deer flee across the fields, zing goes a bullet..heard too many of them. Signs get shot, litter along the back roads, orange in the bars, orange in the stores, orange at the gas station, beat up truck here, out of state tag there. Orange standing on the black tops. Radios chattering constantly, slow moving road hunters on most back roads.
PA must have all the a-holes then ....... or you are exagerating a tad .... and I don't feel sorry for the deer .... it's their lot in life and they have zero emotions ..... just instinct

Yeah, it might be different where some of you live but I cringe when our rifle season rolls around.

But I understand the tradition and camaradory.
while youcringe, I get excited ...and I don't think you understandthe tradition ofgun hunting like we that havegrown up with it do ..... and that's ok ... I am not trying to be an elitist
[/quote]

If I wanted to be an elitist I'd tell you how rifle season in PA makes me want to puke. How watching them on TV get whacked with a rifle makes me puke. How I fast forward on DVD's when rifles are up or how I turn the channel when it's a rifle hunt.

And I don't exagerate **** when it comes to what I see in PA. IT'S PATHETIC!

Elitist?

Yeah, you pegged me as far as bowhunting because a rifle kill by anyone no matter how big it is means nothing to me, that's just the way it is.

If I didn't love bowhunting so much or have respect for the animal and know they needed thinned, because of what I watch in PA everyear, I easily could be an anti, not anti hunting but certainly antihighpoweredriflehunting.

Yeah, I'm an elitist Tony, still want to shake my hand next weekend?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Celebrating after getting a bear with a night of storys at bear camp. It don't get no better then this.

Uhh, Shultzy. What the hell are you doing bro?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most everyone has expressed the same thoughts and feelings I have.Bow hunting is something I took up on my own and almost exclusively do by myself.Most of my rifle hunting is done out of state,sharing the same camp with the same four long time friends for a long time.We all hunt alone and we hunt hard and we have a blast,the stories,the food,the laughter,the beautiful country.I wouldn't miss it for any thing.It is the continuation of a tradition that had existed in our home area for also a very long time.
I love bow hunting and I love rifle hunting and as many others have said there are aspects of each that make them special and unique.
I don't agree with the once you see the animal with a rifle the hunt is over analogy that Rob and others have used.All of my rifle hunting is done primarily in big woods,seeing the animal and putting it on the ground are not a given.Maybe more so if you are a stand or box blind rifle hunter.I have had numerous times when I have been still hunting and have seen a glimpse of antler or the entire buck for a couple of seconds and then never saw them again,for various reasons.You don't always have the time to take a good shot,or are able to get a rest for longer shots.
I am equally happy with the warmth that comes to me with a bow in my hands or a rifle on my shoulder!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Enjoying good times with friends/family after an awesome hunt.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM

How I hunt is almost as important to me as why I hunt....... I gave up rifle hunting long ago b/c I felt like I was cheating... I still share the "gun season" camps with my friends and family.... The only difference is I carry a bow..
Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Uhh, Shultzy. What the hell are you doing bro?
Yea Steve, what's up with that?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know, I know. I was being sarcastic. Great pic and I can tell ya'll were having fun. Only problem with that is that it's REALLY hard to get up to get in the woods the next day with a pounding headache!!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

And with all due respect, PT.......

Remember where you're at

Chevy threads in the Ford forum don't exactly emit repliesof the "All cars are great" variety.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Site Bouncer

Bow hunting and gun hunting......... Here we are again atthose ever elusive questions.....Are they the same? Different? Easier? Harder? Those of you who hunt with both, how do you feel about either? All great and legit questions and one I'll try to answer as honestly as possible.

For me it's "none of the above" meaning I don't even try to compare them because (as stated very eloquently by most here) they are two completely different types of hunting and all that goes with them. A lot of you however are looking at this in a two dimensional sense deer w/bow vs deer w/gun where I look at itmulti dimensionally, meaning bow hunting and gun hunting for deerare not the only game in town when it comes to my hunting time. Like others I enjoy all that "hunting" can provide including big game, small game, upland birds and water fowl. I pursue my quarry with many different types of weapons as I enjoy the diversityin weapon choice each "type" ofhunting brings. While I love this sitemostly due to the folks here, I could live without a bow hunting web site because it's not my main interest when it comes to hunting.

I've spent many prime bow hunting weekends hunting for Coyote, Red Fox,Rabbit, Quail, Pheasantand other critters because I enjoy that just as much. If that means I miss out on that monster buck.....so what, it's not THAT important to me.

Now, I know where I am and I know to what audience I'm typing to...Bow hunters so obviously folks here are more "hardcore" bow hunters than most but the lack of hunting diversity among bow hunters (as a whole) is quite confusing to me and begs the question Why? Now I have my own opinions and as most of you know it doesn't cast a favorable light on bow hunters and their attitude toward other hunters and their methods or choice of weapon. But I can find no other reasons for this "attitude" that oozes from the mouths of bow hunters (in my neck of the woods) when the conversation moves from anything but bow hunting especially when the use of a different weapon is brought up. It's a shame it has to be like this but alas I see it all the time, in person and on web sites like this.

Me?......I'm a hunter plain and simple and ALL that is implied with it. I enjoy it all as much as my business and personal life will allow and refuse to restrict my love for the outdoors and the pursue of wild game by the "tool" I use to do so.

Bow hunting, gun hunting, deer hunting, bird hunting, varmint hunting.......it's all good to me. all challenging, all difficult, all memorable, all unique,because no matter what it's all hunting and that's what I am...........A hunter.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.